The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index The Lost Sailor's Pub

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 Updated March Deadness Standings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> Projects - Swami's 100 Points of Light, March Deadness Top 64, Post-Jerry Collection, etc, etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Ads

chinarider79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: 2009 Updated March Deadness Standings Reply with quote

Round 6

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Last edited by chinarider79 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
chinarider79

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to comment on this year's tournament.... You may recognize these shows as the Top 50 Grateful Dead Shows listed elsewhere on this site. The plan is to have the traditional 64 contenders in future tournaments, so start thinking about your nominees for 2010. Efforts have been made in Round 1 to match-up different eras with the same region. However, some exceptions have been made. Thanks to Kochman for helping to organize this on such a short notice.

Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinarider79 wrote:
I just wanted to comment on this year's tournament.... You may recognize these shows as the Top 50 Grateful Dead Shows listed elsewhere on this site. The plan is to have the traditional 64 contenders in future tournaments, so start thinking about your nominees for 2010. Efforts have been made in Round 1 to match-up different eras with the same region. However, some exceptions have been made. Thanks to Kochman for helping to organize this on such a short notice.

If you'll notice, all the shows on the right are from the East Coast... there were 26 East Coast shows in the Top 50. I took the one FL show, 11/29/80, and put it on the left which are the shows from anywhere BUT the East Coast.

As he said, expect this to be 64 shows in the future tournaments.
CR did you come to a conclusion on the voting period for next year?
The mechanics will be like how we did it at Speeding Arrow, for those of you who weren't there, it is simple.

You get X amount of nominations you can make per era, you do not have to vote in all eras, nor do you have to use all your nomination within any particularly era.
At the end, the nominations are tabulated based on what is on the screen the final day of voting (meaning, throughout the voting period you can change your nominations if you discover new greatness, or decide show A is better than show B).

Alright, good stuff chinarider.
I can't wait for the first round of voting to begin!!!
Gopher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this clears things up, now I understand....

6/9/77 Vs. 7/8/78 in the first round....that's some unfair seeding Laughing

BTW....ChinaRider.....can you post or PM me the dancing bear playing basketball? I want to use that has an avatar elsewhere.

dogstarz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I have a lot of listening to do. Round One looks intense, yet fun. To make sure I only have a small amount of time to listen to these shows to give them each a fair chance.
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am drooling with anticipation, waiting for the polls to be put up... I don't know about you guys, but I intend to listen to as many of the match ups as possible and post thoughts about them....
dogstarz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Now I am drooling with anticipation, waiting for the polls to be put up... I don't know about you guys, but I intend to listen to as many of the match ups as possible and post thoughts about them....

Ditto. I was even talkin about this at work today. Ha ha
stellablue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i need to get in on this.. gives me a good reason to listen more Very Happy this will be fun, and gets me even more excited about g'boro .. come on 4/12

Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stellablue wrote:
i think i need to get in on this.. gives me a good reason to listen more Very Happy this will be fun, and gets me even more excited about g'boro .. come on 4/12

Excellent!!!
The more people participate, the better it will be.
skobud

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know you guys were doing this...I thought it was gonna be about the actual tourney.....Anyway, im in......We are gonna need all the pre 77 votes we can get....
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skobud wrote:
I didnt know you guys were doing this...I thought it was gonna be about the actual tourney.....Anyway, im in......We are gonna need all the pre 77 votes we can get....

Note that your beloved 2/28/69 has some pretty steep competition in the first round action!... I know which way I'm going...
lucasmcain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/28/69 will make 12/18/79 it's bitch!
dogstarz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it is looking like 2/28/69 and 12/28/79 is the first "game" to watch.
chinarider79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a total of 708 votes in Round 1, which averages out to about 30 votes per poll. The updated standings for Round 2 are posted above. The show with the most momentum going into the next round is 11/11/73, with 28 total votes. I will try to have Round 2 polls open by later on tonight.

Duderino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, why did 3/29/90 and 8/27/72 get byes???
Shouldnt it have been something from Europe 72 or 1971 Razz Razz Razz Razz

chinarider79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've unlocked the Round 1 threads in case anyone wants to comment....

Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the voting begins...
Let's make everyone who votes pass through a metal detector so as we can assure they are not armed.
smgarcia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments...

In the SouthEast Region
Barton '77 has the easiest path to make it to the final four. I expect wins against any of its rivals in that bracket. It's stiffest competition will be from 5/2/70 and 4/21/69.

In the NorthEast Region
All intriguing matchups! We have Jai' Alai, Latvala's Top 5 from that year with a mind-blowing Dark Star > Spanish Jam > US Blues which takes you across the Atlantic from Spain to Miami in only 12 minutes. Throw in Let It Rock too. Against this most worthy adversary we have Fillmore East 5-15-1970 which clocks in a over 4 AND A HALF HOURS. That's right folks if you add the early and late shows that's what you get. 6 sets worth of material. They played so many songs that night (38) that they played Cold Jordan twice. Personally I'm torn as I've listened to Jai' Alai about 30 times and the Fillmore East show 2...and the Fronton concert is in my top 5 for that year without question. But the Fillmore East show is simply magical.

The other pairing is a matchup between The Mosque 1977 and Boston 4/73. Now...I thought I had all the good shows from '73 and here we have a concert I don't even have let alone heard. I listen to the Mosque 1-2 times a month it is so good. I think Latvala screwed up by officially releasing some of the FL shows before this one, The Mosque is definitely superior to the Fox and Lakeland theater (DP 29). I think The Mosque advances with about a 2:1 margin.

In the SouthWest Region
Wow. Just some monster shows. First are two Winterland shows separated only by a few months. 11/11/73 with it's deservedly famous Dark Star > MLBJ > Eyes > China Doll > Sugar Mags combo to 2/24/74 Dark Star > Morning Dew > NFA > GDTRFB > NFA. Whoa. What does one do. You could listen to both shows back and forth over and over again and not know what to do. There will be more enjoyment listening and evaluating these two shows than trying to pick a winner. I have no idea who is going to win...but I just might pick 2/24/74 based on a 20 second peculiarity. How can someone not love Graham's opening sentence..."Whatever's going on in the rest of the world, if it's wars, or kidnappings or crimes, this is a peaceful Sunday night with the Grateful Dead" and then BAM! right into the best July 4th BBQ song ever U.S. Blues. His comment sends chills down my spine and immediately relaxes me for a peaceful night of music. U.S. Blues happens to open my "Grateful Dead: Just For Kids" CD I made for my kids and their friends.

I'm not too familiar with the other two concerts but they both have very similar setlists. 2/14/68 is one of the best Spanish Jams EVER because it's more trippy/spacey than some of this counterparts in 1974 and beyond. The sound quality is average (maybe slightly better) and we are not even in the mature Dark Star years which happens a few months after that. The '69 show at the Fillmore West was officially released as part of the 10 CD box set and has updated, better versions of the previous show a year earlier. I expect the '69 show to prevail.

In the NorthWest Region
First we have the famous Wembley '72 show with one of the most celebrated and *beautiful* Dark Stars ever. it goes against a rather short but hefty show 10/12/68 which has more nascent versions of those classic diddies. The '68 sound is crisp, inspiring, and makes you want to jump off the walls. Just plug in The Eleven into your speakers, turn it up to 11, and go f**k*n crazy. And how rare does one get a DS and TOO in the same concert! What awesome sound quality. The Wembley show is just a monster in-of itself. Starting off with a brisk Bertha, it goes through a number of classics and ends with Looks Like Rain (with Jerry on the steel pedal! Simply brilliant! You feel like you are in Montana or New Mexico), a newly improved Playin' In The Band, and Casey Jones. But the real magic starts in the second set. A *thumpin'* Truckin' takes you eventually to DS > Sugar Mags > Caution. This is actually a short show for Europe '72 standards but it packs a wallop equal to, or exceeding other Europe '72 stalwarts 4-14, 4-24, 5-11, and 5-26. I'm tempted to go with Wembley because the DS takes you through so many mood changes but ends with a quazi MLB / Feelin' Groovy Jam or some hybrid thereof.

Next is Grendel's Choice 10/29/77 Field House - just a remarkable show that rivals the very best of 1977 and 8/13/75 Great American Hall, SF. I've been in that hall a number of times (recently) to see DSO, some other bands, and even my wife's end of the year Christmas party. At this show I think you hear the first Help > Slip > Franklin ever (with lyrics), and happy Eyes and a rarely performed Stronger Than Dirt which is the least sounding Grateful Dead tune ever. Just check out Kezar 3-23-75 for verification. I'm not a huge fan of the sound quality though of this official release. In the second set you get a short 5 minute TOO, and rarely played Sage and Spirit. However the encore is a 20 minute Blues For Allah with all of it's spacey 1973 TOO wackiness that steals your face, launches it around the moon, through the asteroid belt, lands you on Planet Skullfock, and then zig-zags you back to Earth with the famous ending lyrics "Do Do Do Do Do Do Do Do." What an odd encore. 10/29/77 needs little introduction. You get a ripping LIG to end the first set, a spacey 18 minute Eyes, and then a St. Stephen > NFA for the ages. I mean, the sound quality is excellent, the playing is excellent and it's no wonder it's a top 5 for 1977. I predict the Field House will be at least a 2:1 winner. but if you like the wacky-freaky crap, then go with the Great American Music Hall.

Next is 74 vs 77 pairing. Immediately you know this will be difficult without even seeing the concert dates. Freedom Hall with one of the best all time The Other Ones EVER. Perhaps the best? It's only 15 minutes but holy moly it launches you in hyperdrive to a quazar and back. I mean it goes places you never would have dreamed. Plus you get the first set Eyes and the Morning Dew encore. Every set is awesome. The 6/9/77 Winterland show is best known for the Help > Slip > Franklin. If you are ever going to introduce someone to that sequence this is the show to give them. You also get Estimated > St. Stephen > NFA > St. Stephen! Then...they don't stop! You get Terrapin Station. How about that! The end the first set with Sugar Mags and US Blues. Another close show and I suspect the votes will come from party voters. Even if you are not familiar with Grendel's Choice you'll vote that show because it's from 77, and if you are not familiar (but who isn't?) with Freedom Hall you'll still take 74 if you are in that time period. I'm not sure what I would vote for...but I've listened to TOO > It's A Sin about 20 times so that might be a clue for you.

Lastly, another Europe '72 show The Lyceum in London (5/26) and 3/1/69 an official release. Well first with The Lyceum. What can I say. Is this not the longest show in the history of man? Over 4 hours and the first set is 19 SONGS. Man. That is a concert just in itself. And that isn't even the meat of the show! The second set boasts a triple decker TOO sandwich with Morning Dew and Drums filling in the middle. Then a soulful Sing Me Back Home before the home stretch. Some may vote for the 72 show just based on it's sheer magnitude and impressive setlist but vote carefully! The '69 show is 1/2 in length but you get some of the very best versions of every single song! I'm not sure how this is going to do but '72 has an advantage right out of the gate but I guarantee it will face stiff competition from the '69 show.

Excellent forthcoming second round!!!

Last edited by smgarcia on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smgarcia wrote:
And how rare does one get a DS and TOO in the same concert!

76 times (out of well over 2500 shows), mainly in this period:
Date Venue
01-17-68 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
01-22-68 Eagles Auditorium, Seattle, Wa.
02-03-68 Crystal Ballroom, Portland, Or.
02-14-68 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
03-16-68 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
03-17-68 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
03-30-68 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
05-24-68 National Guard Armory, St. Louis, Mo.
06-19-68 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
08-21-68 Fillmore West, San Francisco, Ca.
08-22-68 Fillmore West, San Francisco, Ca.
08-23-68 Shrine Exhibition Hall, Los Angeles, Ca.
08-24-68 Shrine Exhibition Hall, Los Angeles, Ca.
09-02-68 Betty Nelson's Organic Raspberry Farm, Sultan, Wa.
10-08-68 The Matrix, San Francisco, Ca.
10-09-68 The Matrix, San Francisco, Ca.
10-12-68 Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
10-30-68 The Matrix, San Francisco, Ca.
11-01-68 Silver Dollar Fairgrounds, Chico, Ca.
11-22-68 Veterans Hall, Columbus, Oh.
12-07-68 Bellarmine College, Louisville, Ky.
12-16-68 The Matrix, San Francisco, Ca.
12-29-68 Gulfstream Park Racetrack, Hallandale, Fl.
01-17-69 Santa Barbara, Ca.
01-24-69 Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
01-26-69 Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
02-02-69 Labor Temple, Minneapolis, Mn.
02-05-69 The Music Box, Omaha, Nb.
02-06-69 Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, Mo.
02-14-69 Electric Factory, Philadelphia, Pa.
02-15-69 Electric Factory, Philadelphia, Pa.
02-22-69 Dream Bowl, Napa, Ca.
02-27-69 Fillmore West, San Francisco, Ca.
02-28-69 Fillmore West, San Francisco, Ca.
03-01-69 Fillmore West, San Francisco, Ca.
03-02-69 Fillmore West, San Francisco, Ca.
03-27-69 Merced, Ca.
04-04-69 Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
04-05-69 Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, Ca.
04-11-69 University Auditorium, U. of Az., Tucson, Az.
04-17-69 Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.
04-21-69 The Ark, Boston, Ma.
04-22-69 The Ark, Boston, Ma.
04-23-69 The Ark, Boston, Ma.
05-03-69b Winterland Arena, San Francisco, Ca.
05-07-69 Polo Field, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, Ca.
05-31-69 McArthur Court, University of Oregon, Eugene, Or.
06-05-69 Fillmore West, San Francisco, Ca.
06-22-69 Central Park, New York, N.Y.
07-10-69 Gallagher Estate, Norwalk, Ct.
07-12-69 NY State Pavilion, Flushing Meadow Pk, Queens, N.Y.
08-21-69 Green Lake Aqua Theatre, Seattle, Wa.
11-07-69 Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, Ca.
11-08-69 Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, Ca.
12-11-69 Thelma Theater, Los Angeles, Ca.
12-30-69 Boston Tea Party, Boston, Ma.
01-23-70 Honolulu Civic Auditorium, Honolulu, Hi.
02-13-70b Fillmore East, New York, N.Y.
03-24-70 Pirates World, Dania, Fl.
04-26-70 York Farm, Poynette, Wi.
05-24-70 Newcastle-Under-Lyme, England
11-05-70 Capitol Theater, Port Chester, N.Y.
04-14-71 Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pa.
04-28-71 Fillmore East, New York, N.Y.
11-07-71 Harding Theater, San Francisco, Ca.
12-15-71 Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, Mi.
05-07-72 Bickershaw Festival, Wigan, England
12-31-78 Winterland Arena, San Francisco, Ca.
01-20-79 Shea's Buffalo Theatre, Buffalo, N.Y.
12-31-81 Oakland Auditorium Arena, Oakland, Ca.
12-31-90 Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland, Ca.
09-08-91 Madison Square Garden, New York, N.Y.
09-26-91 Boston Garden, Boston, Ma.
03-20-92 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
06-22-92 Star Lake Amphitheatre, Burgettstown, Pa.
03-17-93 Capital Centre, Landover, Md.

Quote:
In the SouthEast Region
Barton '77 has the easiest path to make it to the final four. I expect wins against any of its rivals in that bracket. It's stiffest competition will be from 5/2/70 and 4/21/69.

You don't even mention the 7/12/90... have you even heard it?

Last edited by Kochman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
smgarcia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that is a surprise to me. DS's before summer 68 don't count (not developed by then) so basically second half 68 and 1969 comprise the bulk of the combos. Nice.
a.j.craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Forum link:
Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

[gets me here when I click on url]

As Administrator or moderator of this forum, you are getting this automated email message as a warning to check the public contents of your forum. You need to insure that inappropriate content or any content that violates ForumUp's Terms of Service does not appear in public posts. You have 48 hours to clear the inappropriate content (remove posts, use the "word censor" tool, etc.)
Please do not reply to this message. Post on the support forum if you have any question.
Regards,
ForumUp Webmaster"

I have cast a schoolmasterly eye through this, and I cannot see what there is here that is publically objectionable. Nor, for that matter am I an admin of this area. Rob, can you privatise it or whatever is needed to be done.

Evelyn Underhill
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the B word...
Come on... this forum provider is really losing its grip.
I guess I have to make this part hidden too now...
smgarcia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this about? What post violates any of the rules. I don't understand.

So we can't use any swear words? Like B**ch? F**K, C**T things like that? I'll go back and clean up my post. Is that it? Don't make this thread hidden!
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smgarcia wrote:
What is this about? What post violates any of the rules. I don't understand.

So we can't use any swear words? Like B**ch? F**K, C**T things like that? I'll go back and clean up my post. Is that it? Don't make this thread hidden!

Its already done man... don't worry about it.
The forum provider is stupid. Its not worth the aggravation.

By hidden it just means you must log in to see it.
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course today is the last day of voting for round 2, we have some really close contests going here!
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like some intense match ups in round 3....
snow_and_rain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear we'll be kissing the 60's goodbye in this round. 2/28/69 would have had a chance, but didn't advance. i don't see 4/21/69 besting the Barton Hall juggernaut. 71 still has an outside shot of moving on.
Duderino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have not heard an answer as to why 3/29/90 and 8/27/72 got byes into Round 4???????? 8/27/72 maybe but 3/29/90?? I'm waiting...... Evil or Very Mad
I hope 5/8/77 goes DOWN!

Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
I still have not heard an answer as to why 3/29/90 and 8/27/72 got byes into Round 4???????? 8/27/72 maybe but 3/29/90?? I'm waiting...... Evil or Very Mad
I hope 5/8/77 goes DOWN!

Due to the odd number of shows... 64 works out well... 50 doesn't... two shows had to get huge byes...
The top 2 vote getters from Keith and Brent eras got those buys...
Rather arbitrary, and how dare thou assault the honor of 3/29/90!!! Thou friend of 6/14/85 Set 2!!!
snow_and_rain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
I hope 5/8/77 goes DOWN!

Little Miss 3/29/90 is gonna have a pretty big rumble on her hands when she meets the winner 5/25/77 v. 6/23/74!! I predict a First Round TKO.
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 3/29/90 lost to 6/23/74, I think I could deal with it.... but a loss to 5/25/77 would be the final blow to my sanity. In fact, if 6/23/74 loses to 5/25/77, I will be completely flabbergasted.
Duderino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Duderino wrote:
I hope 5/8/77 goes DOWN!

Due to the odd number of shows... 64 works out well... 50 doesn't... two shows had to get huge byes...
The top 2 vote getters from Keith and Brent eras got those buys...
Rather arbitrary, and how dare thou assault the honor of 3/29/90!!! Thou friend of 6/14/85 Set 2!!!
Laughing Laughing
Fair enough. 5/25/77 is the Cinderella of this tourney, whose carriage will soon turn into a pumpkin.

chinarider79

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polls are open on Round 3....

....who still hasn't listened to these shows?

Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR, I think the shows that weren't listened to already lost... blind voting hurt the tourney early.
Duderino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I want to know is HOW THE FUCK DID 9/21/72 Spectrum NOT MAKE THE 50 GREATEST?? I was listening to the Playin and He's Gone>Truckin last night and remembered what an amazing show this is. The first set has all kinds of goodies, and of course a Darkstar>jam>Dew. I will advocate heavily for this in the next voting. !!!

The Promised Land [#3:59] ; Bird Song [13:05] ; El Paso [4:24] ; China Cat Sunflower [6:56] > I Know You Rider [4:54] (1) ; Black Throated Wind (2) [6:03] ; Big Railroad Blues [3:53] ; Jack Straw [4:26] ; Loser [6:34] ; Big River [4:27] ; Ramble On Rose [5:56] ; Cumberland Blues [6:#50] ; Playing In The Band (3) [16:25]

He's Gone [14:01] > Truckin' [11:11] ; Black Peter [8:58] ; Mexicali Blues [3:10] ; Dark Star (5) [37:06] > Morning Dew [11:05] ; Beat It On Down The Line (6) [3:04] ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [9:11] ; Sugar Magnolia [7:57] ; Friend Of The Devil [#3:00] ; Not Fade Away [6:00] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:30] > Not Fade Away [3:01]
Encore One More Saturday Night [4:37]

Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering that... I think it is the phenomenon that there is just so much great stuff from that period... Specifically that nothing from 9/72 made it...
Look at 95's show. It was hot, sure... but it received as many votes almost as 8/27/72, because it didn't face as much competition.
I think when people were making their lists... they felt like they had to include shows from every year... you don't have to.
The only show from 95 that everyone agrees is worthwhile... 3/23/95...
Shows from 72 that people agree are awesome.... there was about 10 of them.
4/8 & 5/26 won out...
waynecs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
One thing I want to know is HOW THE FUCK DID 9/21/72 Spectrum NOT MAKE THE 50 GREATEST?? I was listening to the Playin and He's Gone>Truckin last night and remembered what an amazing show this is. The first set has all kinds of goodies, and of course a Darkstar>jam>Dew. I will advocate heavily for this in the next voting. !!!

The Promised Land [#3:59] ; Bird Song [13:05] ; El Paso [4:24] ; China Cat Sunflower [6:56] > I Know You Rider [4:54] (1) ; Black Throated Wind (2) [6:03] ; Big Railroad Blues [3:53] ; Jack Straw [4:26] ; Loser [6:34] ; Big River [4:27] ; Ramble On Rose [5:56] ; Cumberland Blues [6:#50] ; Playing In The Band (3) [16:25]

He's Gone [14:01] > Truckin' [11:11] ; Black Peter [8:58] ; Mexicali Blues [3:10] ; Dark Star (5) [37:06] > Morning Dew [11:05] ; Beat It On Down The Line (6) [3:04] ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [9:11] ; Sugar Magnolia [7:57] ; Friend Of The Devil [#3:00] ; Not Fade Away [6:00] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:30] > Not Fade Away [3:01]

This was my first show so I'm never sure how objective I am about it so it's nice to have someone else praising it.
One thing I am sure of is it's the greatest show I ever attended by anyone.
Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynecs wrote:
Duderino wrote:

This was my first show so I'm never sure how objective I am about it so it's nice to have someone else praising it.

Excellent! When this tournament is over, I will be continuing the Sep 72 review, and I hope you will give us thoughts on the show from your experience there!
Duderino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynecs wrote:
Duderino wrote:

Man, that's a helluva show to be your first! Lots of great shows from that September run but this is arguably among the top 2 or 3.

chinarider79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 4 is open for business....
Accept no imitations!!

rastamon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: blah-blah-blah Reply with quote

since i keep getting these emails asking to vote (!) and I'm not all that interested....
BUT, between 11/11/73 & 5/8/77, my vote would go to 11/11/73 because it has a GRATE Darkstar. There are probably 20 -1977 shows far better than the other (yawn) show.

Also, toooo many sub-forums here. A nice general main forum much like the archive would be a good thing imo. Deadhook has a simular problem....to each their own, aye? Also doubt if I'll read any replies here. So have at it. The emails of vote-vote-vote generate this response. Have fun, this is a grate forum if this & Deadhook are yer style (but not really mine) later, rasta

His job is to shed light, and not to master
chinarider79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: blah-blah-blah Reply with quote

rastamon wrote:
since i keep getting these emails asking to vote (!) and I'm not all that interested....
BUT, between 11/11/73 & 5/8/77, my vote would go to 11/11/73 because it has a GRATE Darkstar. There are probably 20 -1977 shows far better than the other (yawn) show.

Also, toooo many sub-forums here. A nice general main forum much like the archive would be a good thing imo. Deadhook has a simular problem....to each their own, aye? Also doubt if I'll read any replies here. So have at it. The emails of vote-vote-vote generate this response. Have fun, this is a grate forum if this & Deadhook are yer style (but not really mine) later, rasta

Thanks for responding to all those annoying emails, rastamon Smile
I actually prefer the sub-forums, although I do agree that Deadhook can get a little confusing. Sub-forums are our attempt to keep things organized. This way, people who come here to talk about the Dead don't have to look at threads about Ukrainian Polka Bands if they don't want to. Also, putting the Deadness polls in a separate sub-forum keeps members who are not interested in them from being bombarded on a main page.

Kochman
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reply CR79...

Rasta...
Yeah, so since you won't read our replies anyhow...
Nanny nanny boo boo!
Razz

Love ya Rasta (in case you do read it)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> Projects - Swami's 100 Points of Light, March Deadness Top 64, Post-Jerry Collection, etc, etc All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: