The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index The Lost Sailor's Pub

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I confess...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> Conversations of the Dead - All About the Greatest Rock n' Roll Band Ever
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
Soeharto1



Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: I confess... Reply with quote

1. I think "Terrapin Station" is cheesy 70s prog-rock which I only tolerate because it's the Dead playing it.

2. "Drums" and "Rhythm Devils"are, for the most part, boring and actually quite poorly executed, with the odd gratefully accepted exception.

3. Don't really care for Shakedown Street, Dancing In The Street and a large number of Eyes Of The Worlds. When scanning set lists before choosing a show to listen to, these particular tunes count as a minus point as I cogitate.

There. I've confessed.

If you're ready to confess something to me, my son, then I'm ready to hear it. Fear not, for your confession will not be picked apart or ridiculed except for in the private thoughts of the faithful here gathered together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha!
I love it!

I have already done a lot of confession, but I think it is good to have a centralized place.

1) I don't really buy into the hippie thing, and think that most "hippies" are pretentious DBs.
2) Donna is one of the worst female vocalists I have ever heard, and I cringe in every Donna PITB.
3) 67 doesn't really do it for me, at all... nor does 70 or 71, with some noteable exceptions
4) June 76 is probably, until 95, their worst month
5) I hate BIODTL, LLR, Bobby McGee, Wave to the Wind, most TN Jeds, Row Jimmy, and AWBYGN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grateful_nirvanA



Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soeharto1 wrote:
"Drums" and "Rhythm Devils"are, for the most part, boring.
I agree.

Kochman wrote:
I hate BIODTL, LLR, most TN Jeds, (and most) Row Jimmys
. Again, I agree.

I'll confess that:

1) I hate, or at least strongly dislike, Day Job, When Push Comes To Shove, Don't Ease, all Donna songs except Sunrise, the slowed down arrangement of FOTD, every performance of Attics, and pretty much every post-Pigpen Lovelight (they aren't all like 12/31/82).

2) Most of the shows I saw were pretty mediocre. My first was 6/6/91 and my last 7/9/95. By the time the bus came by, the seat I got had been vacated by someone who had seen the decline and gotten off. Musically, the best show I saw probably isn't even in my top 100 shows to listen to.

3) I absolutely hate people who pretend to know about the GD who don't know [CENSORED] from shinola. It's okay not to know, but it's not okay to say you do when you don't. Seeing people in GD shirts is great, until you talk to them and they are the most clueless burnouts out there. It's no wonder so many people think we GD fans are losers.

Whew! Now, where's my absolution? Or at least a stiff drink! LOL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spencer540



Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow some of the songs you guys dislike are my favorites! But then again, your probably going to say the same thing about my list.


1. I think 76 is a overrated year. As are 70, 87 and 78 with some exceptions.

2. I rarely pick up a show that's before 4/28/71 and after 10/31/91.

3. I've never been to hot for Weir

4. I wish they didn't bring back Greatest Story Ever Told or To Lay Me Down. Both songs were great in 74' and didn't work for me in the 80's.

5. I've grown tired of Truckin' since I found out about live bootlegs.

6. I've always disliked all versions of: Tennessee Jed, , Throwing Stones, Stella Blue, Ramble On Rose,

7. Other than a few exceptions that I love, I usually dislike: Playin In The Band!( GOD THAT FEELS GOOD TO GET OFF MY CHEST.), Mississippi Half Step, Around and Around, I Need A Miracle, Sugaree, Morning Dew

I'm ready for your punches, especially with PITB and Dew

8. I don't think 5/8/77 is overrated.

9. Other than American Beauty, Workingmans Dead and Blues For Allah, I could care less that the Dead ever walked in the studio.

_________________
"JOKING?! Keep in mind, my friend, that this is serious business to most of us losers around here; we are, after all, wasting our precious lives debating these absurd issues. Have a little respect." - dylan&theded


Last edited by spencer540 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:52 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soeharto1



Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencer540 wrote:
I'm ready for your punches, especially with PITB and Dew


No, no. You are safe here in the Confessional Box. Yes To Stuff Off Chests - No To Chest Beating!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great, so:

1. I really hate Lazy Lightning (I tried hard but I can't stand it ... if I see this tune in the show I tend to skip it by defoult), then LLR, then the MAMU>Big river;

2. My following issue is Bill, this has notthing to do with his playing. Now I was better off not seeing him in video because when I saw him it seemed to me:
a) that he has an incredibly dumb / empty eyes look;
b) that he is bored;
c) that he would like to be in anothe place and time;

3. I like and can feel the depth of the 68 - 69 era but I am not often in the mood to "swallow" one whole show;

4. I like Jerry's Hermit voice in 1985;

5. I got used to Donna's "jeah jeah jeee" during PITB Embarassed ... I miss it when I don't hear it so that duing the other eras I do it myself ... anyone else?

6. I don't like the SYF symbol ... simple as that!

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seamus95



Joined: 16 Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Location: new jersey

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: confess Reply with quote

all these things IMO

1. I think darkstar is (with rare exeception) boring and i have avoided shows/albums with it for as long (20+yrs) as i have been listening to live tapes

2. think the band was to my ears more interesting sounding with 2 drummers instead of one

3. love donnas 76-77 vocals

4. thx to the archive, I realize that 95% of the shows (1990-1995) i saw the time experience was way, WAY better then the music i heard

5. phils backing vocals especially in 73 + 74 ruins lots of great songs for me, more than doona in the same period
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my turn -

I think Darkstar is a pretty freakin boring tune - they could dispense of all but a few minutes of interesting jamming. I often skip large sections of this tune until something remotely melodic happens.

Ditto with extremely long (especially early 70's) version of Playin and TOO.
A 40 minute Playin that consists of aimless noodling aint my cup of tea.

I like Day Job.

I like BIODTL, but only in the post retirement era. Ditto with LL Rain.

I find 1986 to be underrated.

I find Pigpen to be overrated

Phil Lesh never could sing lead. I can barely tolerate his early 70's harmonies lately.

Bruce Hornsby has a pretty crappy voice, at least singing with the GD.

I find 1973 to be a year when they played too many damn songs in each show. And something about the squeaky clean sound is boring. 72 and 74 had more of an edge.

I like the sounds of "Froggy Jerry" circa 84 and 85.

I enjoy Disco Dancin's

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viola Lee Blues. Are you fuckin' kidding me?
For the most part Mickey Hart(post hiatus) is just in the way cluttering up things
Two Souls in Communion is painful
Talk about your pretentious D.B look no further than Phil Lesh
The hyper versions of Eyes of the World [CENSORED]

_________________
FUM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aikowolf



Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 442

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I secretly admire the people who can con folks out of $1200 every 6 months to pay for their servers when in reality what they are doing is so wrong, especially when every other sentence out of them is..

Quote:
we don't think we're doing anything wrong, but we would not like Rhino to find out

_________________

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus:

When I hera "I will survive" or "YMCA" my knee starts to beat the rhytm and I can't stop it ....

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soeharto1



Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
When I hear "I will survive" or "YMCA" my knee starts to beat the rhytm and I can't stop it ....


Yes. You are safe here in the Confessional Box, blah blah. Fear not my son, etc, etc. However, Forgiveness hath its limits. Watch o'er thyself and thine revelations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then,

1) If I never heard another pre-Brent-Era GD show I would be just fine with that.
2) Most of Dick's Picks were pretty bad show choices.
3) Songs other than ballads played at a slow tempos really bother me (especially Eyes).
4a) The GD were much better with Mickey Hart.
4b) Drums & Space were one of my favorite parts of the show.
5) Around & Around should have been kept to a 4-minute maximum.
6) I truly like all of the "new" 90s songs, including Wave to the Wind, Way To Go Home, Samba, If The Shoe Fits, Childhood's End, Corinna, So Many Roads, Days Between, and even Easy Answers.

Nothing shocking really - I guess I have voiced me controversial opinions enough around here, and there's not much I'm keeping on the inside.

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2daddy



Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Grateful Dead song I ever heard was Touch of Grey. And I liked it a lot. Especially the video.

There. I said it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jessewood34



Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Posts: 356

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.I think post hiatus that the drumming got really dull and boring
2.I really hate when people have to say "Jazzy" like every single minute when describing a GD jam.
3.I like Don't Need Love in fact i would say its my favorite brent song!
4.I think the midi was extremely stupid..sure it might have sounded innovative back then..but now it sounds dated and really takes away the experience of the music.
5.i like two souls lol

theres mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spencer540



Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2daddy wrote:
The first Grateful Dead song I ever heard was Touch of Grey. And I liked it a lot. Especially the video.

There. I said it.


The first one I heard was St. Stephen in 8th grade, and I looked over at my friend and said " Who is this, Eric Clapton?" Laughing

_________________
"JOKING?! Keep in mind, my friend, that this is serious business to most of us losers around here; we are, after all, wasting our precious lives debating these absurd issues. Have a little respect." - dylan&theded
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aikowolf wrote:
I secretly admire the people who can con folks out of $1200 every 6 months to pay for their servers when in reality what they are doing is so wrong, especially when every other sentence out of them is..

Quote:
we don't think we're doing anything wrong, but we would not like Rhino to find out

Laughing Laughing Laughing

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soeharto1



Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess that, if we were to rate Dead songs by our unthinking tendency to sing or hum the opening riff - first 4 bars or so - as we potter about the house or garden, then for me Picasso Moon is way up there with the best tunes the Dead ever wrote.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soeharto1 wrote:
tizi wrote:
When I hear "I will survive" or "YMCA" my knee starts to beat the rhytm and I can't stop it ....


Yes. You are safe here in the Confessional Box, blah blah. Fear not my son, etc, etc. However, Forgiveness hath its limits. Watch o'er thyself and thine revelations.


Laughing Laughing

by the way Picasso Moon has this "catchy" protopsycho80s sound ... not a bad tune at all ...

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soeharto1



Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Posts: 213

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
by the way Picasso Moon has this "catchy" protopsycho80s sound ... not a bad tune at all ...


I do like the tune in its entirety but I'm only nailing my Best Song underpants to the First Few Bars mast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soeharto1 wrote:
tizi wrote:
by the way Picasso Moon has this "catchy" protopsycho80s sound ... not a bad tune at all ...


I do like the tune in its entirety but I'm only nailing my Best Song underpants to the First Few Bars mast.


HILARIOUS!

You guys have me in stitches this morning! I needed it after a somewhat rough night (not due to booze).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Soeharto1 wrote:
tizi wrote:
by the way Picasso Moon has this "catchy" protopsycho80s sound ... not a bad tune at all ...


I do like the tune in its entirety but I'm only nailing my Best Song underpants to the First Few Bars mast.


HILARIOUS!

You guys have me in stitches this morning! I needed it after a somewhat rough night (not due to booze).


..... ooohhh NNOO ... my knee starts to beat the rhytm ... yet again ......

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is bigger than a drive in movie, oh wee!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colonialsrv



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 286
Location: Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...on with some confessions.....

1. I absolutely can't stand lostnsailor, saint of circumstance. I didn't like it on the album and I hated it live. Whenever insaw I live I knew it was time to make a pit stop and go take q piss

2. As cheesy as this sounds I love the first Grateful Dead Album. When you listen to it nowadays you can see where the band wanted to go, but that they weren't mature enough to get there. I mean a nice 15 minute Viola Lee Blues, and I'm hooks all over again

3. I love all the "cowboy" songs.

4. When I was going on tour I almost always (till the 90s), felt like we were one big family, and I would hitch rides to the next show mostly with people that I didn't know.

5. I was never into the while Grateful Dead goes disco thing, but I still think that Terrapim, and Shakedown produced some good [CENSORED]

And last but not least......
6. I don't think that Grateful Dead became the Grateful Dead till Blues for Allah came out.

MIKE

_________________
NOBODY NOTICES WHAT I DO UNTIL I STOP DOING IT!!!!! fucking bullshit if you ask me, because I always have to explain what I'm doing. Miss the old days of touring and not having a care in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colonialsrv



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 286
Location: Rhode Island

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another confession:

Sometimes, I would rather listen to a really good JGB show than a Grateful Dead Show. To me it just seems that no matter what you you pick to listen to a JGB show, you don't have to worry as much that you will find a shitty show, or a show with no energy. It seems to me that sometimes Jerry was more relaxed without the Grateful Dead, and therefore for the most part just chilled and played some nice relaxingbjams, no matter what year you pick to listen to them.

_________________
NOBODY NOTICES WHAT I DO UNTIL I STOP DOING IT!!!!! fucking bullshit if you ask me, because I always have to explain what I'm doing. Miss the old days of touring and not having a care in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamiGD80s wrote:
Ok then,


2) Most of Dick's Picks were pretty bad show choices.


Laughing That's because the person picking them was nuts!!
I find it hard to complain about the ealry 70's picks, but:
10/14/83 instead of 10/15 or several other shows from 83?
11/1/85? - sure it has the novelty factor but the AUD is much better than that thin SBD, and there are better shows in 85.
9/25/91? really?

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grateful_nirvanA



Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to the Winterland '77 box set a lot in the last 3-4 weeks and I have to say........it's not that great. 6/9 is a hot show, but 6/7 and, to a lesser extent 6/8, are pretty sloppy and unfocused IMO. Eyes and Other One on 6/8 and He's Gone on 6/7 really stand out as pretty bad versions in a pretty great year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grateful_nirvanA



Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grateful_nirvanA wrote:
I've been listening to the Winterland '77 box set a lot in the last 3-4 weeks and I have to say........it's not that great. 6/9 is a hot show, but 6/7 and, to a lesser extent 6/8, are pretty sloppy and unfocused IMO. Eyes and Other One on 6/8 and He's Gone on 6/7 really stand out as pretty bad versions in a pretty great year.


*Addition*
The Brokedown encore from 6/8 is pretty broken too. Ouch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IMKind



Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 508
Location: The Here and Now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess:

Other than the riff Pigpen put into Dark Star, I have absolutely no use for him.

I think Donna had a very good ear for harmony, but not a great voice.

I have not listened to the Dead for about a year, but now they are calling me back home.

Phil should never have been allowed to sing lead on anything. Itīs rather like when the Beatles had Ringo sing... I always had the sense that someone else could have done it better.

_________________
- Reid

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMKind, great to see you back!

_________________
FUM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMKind wrote:
I confess:

Other than the riff Pigpen put into Dark Star, I have absolutely no use for him.

I think Donna had a very good ear for harmony, but not a great voice.

I have not listened to the Dead for about a year, but now they are calling me back home.

Phil should never have been allowed to sing lead on anything. Itīs rather like when the Beatles had Ringo sing... I always had the sense that someone else could have done it better.
Yes welcome back.
Ringo could sing, Phil can't.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spencer540



Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
IMKind wrote:
I confess:

Other than the riff Pigpen put into Dark Star, I have absolutely no use for him.

I think Donna had a very good ear for harmony, but not a great voice.

I have not listened to the Dead for about a year, but now they are calling me back home.

Phil should never have been allowed to sing lead on anything. Itīs rather like when the Beatles had Ringo sing... I always had the sense that someone else could have done it better.
Yes welcome back.
Ringo could sing, Phil can't.



I got a big a confession, LET PHIL SING! I enjoy it when he steps up to the mic. He does so many songs well, Pride of Cucamunga, Toms Thumb Blues, even the Unbroken Chain from 3/23/95 has grown on me.

And dont be a Ringo basher , he actually had a good voice. Act Naturally is one of my favorite Beatles songs.

_________________
"JOKING?! Keep in mind, my friend, that this is serious business to most of us losers around here; we are, after all, wasting our precious lives debating these absurd issues. Have a little respect." - dylan&theded
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM!!!! How are ya man? Saturday night LP maybe around 9 PM EDT stop in if you can!

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frell



Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My confessions:

1. I hate Ship Of Fools
2. I love Dark Star
3. I like to daydream in a an extended 73-74 jam
4. I do not like the "blues slot" (CC Rider, Rooster....)
5. The cowboy songs have grown on me and I have grown to like them more than the blues songs.
6. I really like Pigpen and the entire primal dead sound.
7. I really hate the parking lot scene (now more than ever)

_________________
dogstar crashez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMKind wrote:
I confess:

Other than the riff Pigpen put into Dark Star, I have absolutely no use for him.

I think Donna had a very good ear for harmony, but not a great voice.

I have not listened to the Dead for about a year, but now they are calling me back home.

Phil should never have been allowed to sing lead on anything. Itīs rather like when the Beatles had Ringo sing... I always had the sense that someone else could have done it better.

Hey!
Good to have you back!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigpen? [CENSORED] no!

Dark Star? [CENSORED] yeah!

Bob Weir is a sloppy guitar player.

Phil should never have sang.

Mickey Hart just pretty much guarantees the drums will be out of sync and the band will sound like a bunch of stoned high school students a good 65 percent of the time.

Sometimes I actually enjoy LLR, although I've seldom heard cornier lyrics than the "street cats" verse.

It annoys me that, particularly in later years, Jerry couldn't be bothered to play his parts convincingly aside from his solos. And it bothers me sometimes that his solos fizzle out instead of ending (which doesn't seem to happen so much in JGB).

I don't see how hating IWTYH or Wave to the Wind is really a "confession," but aside from my lack of appreciation for Pigpen I can't think of much that I hate that is generally loved, and even that has been covered already in this thread so sorry to come up a day late and a dollar short here...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I mention I don't dig Ramble on Rose AT ALL... just a waste of space.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am as big as a Bobby fan as Jerry, I miss Ratdog.

I don't really like Phil, on all spectrums. John Kahn was Jerry's best bassist.

Slower the better - FOTD, TLEO, Straw, Jimmy...LLR is better fast though

I love LLR, at least from '76 on

I don't think Brent was a good fit with the band

I think 2/26/77, 11/20/78, and 7/8/78 are mediocre shows at best.

I like Vince's playing and most 90's GD, with the exception of Phil and Vince songs.

I hardly listen to anything pre-Keith, 1985-1988

Novelties like rare setlists, song placements or unusual segues doesn't really excite me

All the songs you guys admitted to not liking, I like a lot.

I like it...but Peggy-O is kind of boring.

I don't really care for any Dylan songs covered by GD(Baby Blue is great), yet love all Dylan covers with JGB

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may take the cake for most shocking confession here!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or cumulative effect? I'd say the craziest are 1, 2 and 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean somebody has to be as big a fan of Bobby as of Jerry, statistically. And there are probably even people who like Bobby better than Jerry, I even dimly recall meeting some of them back in "the day." But it's still objectively nutso.

It's hard to imagine liking the GD a whole lot without digging Phil's bass playing, it's a pretty central feature. If I didn't dig it I guess I'd listen to more JGB than Dead, although there's that Bobby fixation to tend to in this case.

I suppose it's not that uncommon for people to dislike Brent, but his era I think has kind of earned its place in history and his keyboard playing was often great, although I agree that it could be kind of cheesy in a way that most people direct their ire at Vince for. But Vince was kind of the worst parts of Brent x7000, so if I hated Brent I don't see how I could dig Vince.


Last edited by bzfgt on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colonialsrv



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 286
Location: Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also must confess that although I wasn't for a long time, I have since become a Donna fan.

_________________
NOBODY NOTICES WHAT I DO UNTIL I STOP DOING IT!!!!! fucking bullshit if you ask me, because I always have to explain what I'm doing. Miss the old days of touring and not having a care in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzfgt wrote:
I mean somebody has to be as big a fan of Bobby as of Jerry, statistically. And there are probably even people who like Bobby better than Jerry, I even dimly recall meeting some of them back in "the day." But it's still objectively nutso.

It's hard to imagine liking the GD a whole lot without digging Phil's bass playing, it's a pretty central feature. If I didn't dig it I guess I'd listen to more JGB than Dead, although there's that Bobby fixation to tend to in this case.

I suppose it's not that uncommon for people to dislike Brent, but his era I think has kind of earned its place in history and his keyboard playing was often great, although I agree that it could be kind of cheesy in a way that most people direct their ire at Vince for. But Vince was kind of the worst parts of Brent x7000, so if I hated Brent I don't see how I could dig Vince.

It's all subjective I guess, because logically Vince was nowhere near Brent, obviously... but to each his own! It takes all kinds.

I do know that Gopher listens to a good amount of JGB, way more than I do at a minimum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean by "logically," but what I really mean is very general--cheesy keyboard sounds that are not B3 and that are too loud or prominent. Clearly Vince was very different, but Brent was also a sinner, although on a much smaller scale. For those of you who like more of Brent's keyboard sounds or his role on most things where he isn't playing an organ sound (naturally, I like some of this too) my focus is too wide and the critique doesn't apply.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this will likely incite some seething hatred:
Except for Old and In The Way, I find most of Jerry's solo incarnations until about 1981 (JGB, Reconstruction, LOM, etc..) terribly dull, slow and/or self-indulgent. He turns a great song like The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down into a comatose dirge. I don't even really listen to much 80's JGB but it is alot better than the 70's shit.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
OK, this will likely incite some seething hatred:
Except for Old and In The Way, I find most of Jerry's solo incarnations until about 1981 (JGB, Reconstruction, LOM, etc..) terribly dull, slow and/or self-indulgent. He turns a great song like The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down into a comatose dirge. I don't even really listen to much 80's JGB but it is alot better than the 70's shit.


I can agree about the stuff pre-LoM, but '74-'76 is bliss. Dixie Down is a poor example, well at least for me. Take a lame song like Knockin on Heavens Door and look what Jerry did to it? And what can you say about a Positively 4th SWEET?

Martin Fierro was Jerry on a sax....love LoM and what he brought to it.

'77-'78 is hit or miss, nice to hear new original material, but '78 with Donna and Marie Mauldar can be a little iffy(that made for two couples in the band Godchauxs plus Kahn was dating Mauldar....sounds like a fun tour Rolling Eyes), and I hate how they tried transforming Lonesome And A long way from home into an experimental mindless jamfest, it was just fine in '76!

If only you guys have heard the JGB I have, you'd understand Wink

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopher wrote:
Duderino wrote:
OK, this will likely incite some seething hatred:
Except for Old and In The Way, I find most of Jerry's solo incarnations until about 1981 (JGB, Reconstruction, LOM, etc..) terribly dull, slow and/or self-indulgent. He turns a great song like The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down into a comatose dirge. I don't even really listen to much 80's JGB but it is alot better than the 70's shit.


I can agree about the stuff pre-LoM, but '74-'76 is bliss. Dixie Down is a poor example, well at least for me. Take a lame song like Knockin on Heavens Door and look what Jerry did to it? And what can you say about a Positively 4th SWEET?

Martin Fierro was Jerry on a sax....love LoM and what he brought to it.

'77-'78 is hit or miss, nice to hear new original material, but '78 with Donna and Marie Mauldar can be a little iffy(that made for two couples in the band Godchauxs plus Kahn was dating Mauldar....sounds like a fun tour Rolling Eyes), and I hate how they tried transforming Lonesome And A long way from home into an experimental mindless jamfest, it was just fine in '76!

If only you guys have heard the JGB I have, you'd understand Wink

No judging in this thread Wink I'm old. I've heard a lot of Jerry over the years and saw JGB several times in the 80's. Just saying that alot of his material just does not hold my interest like his contributions within the GD. There is no reason why Mississippi Moon (a sweet, great song) should go on for 12 minutes at a snails pace.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would kill for many 6-8 minute GD songs to be extended to focused playing that rolled along for 10-14 minutes, even at a snail's pace...get hypnotized!

How sick would be 12 minute long versions of songs like Stagger, Althea, Straw, CRS, or BTW? Cool

Gotta remember, i'm a Ratdog head Smile

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
Gopher wrote:
Duderino wrote:
OK, this will likely incite some seething hatred:
Except for Old and In The Way, I find most of Jerry's solo incarnations until about 1981 (JGB, Reconstruction, LOM, etc..) terribly dull, slow and/or self-indulgent. He turns a great song like The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down into a comatose dirge. I don't even really listen to much 80's JGB but it is alot better than the 70's shit.


I can agree about the stuff pre-LoM, but '74-'76 is bliss. Dixie Down is a poor example, well at least for me. Take a lame song like Knockin on Heavens Door and look what Jerry did to it? And what can you say about a Positively 4th SWEET?

Martin Fierro was Jerry on a sax....love LoM and what he brought to it.

'77-'78 is hit or miss, nice to hear new original material, but '78 with Donna and Marie Mauldar can be a little iffy(that made for two couples in the band Godchauxs plus Kahn was dating Mauldar....sounds like a fun tour Rolling Eyes), and I hate how they tried transforming Lonesome And A long way from home into an experimental mindless jamfest, it was just fine in '76!

If only you guys have heard the JGB I have, you'd understand Wink

No judging in this thread Wink I'm old. I've heard a lot of Jerry over the years and saw JGB several times in the 80's. Just saying that alot of his material just does not hold my interest like his contributions within the GD. There is no reason why Mississippi Moon (a sweet, great song) should go on for 12 minutes at a snails pace.




I agree with the Dude, and I will add that I give a lot of the credit to Bob Weir for pestering Jerry into keeping up the "urgency" of the jams.

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really dig acoustic Dead at all...
It bores me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
I don't really dig acoustic Dead at all...
It bores me.


Same here, with the exception of TLMD, Bird Song and China Doll.

Do I even gotta say how I feel about Garcia/Kahn acoustic? Smile

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An argument could be made that Garcia/Kahn acoustic is a bit crappy. It has its moments, though.

JGB in the '70s does seem a bit meandery, I think once there were the '80s backing vocalists and band it got pretty kick ass. Certainly the jams were not as good as GD jams and sounded more like a regular rock band riffing on and on, but Garcia's solos with JGB were arguably more consistently incandescent, if not always as interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songs(well at least the ones that are somewhat popular) that I don't care if I ever hear again:
Attics, Ripple and Death Don't

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ripple from Reckoning is near perfection, as the song per se in shortness/sharpness/lyrics and elegance.

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mighty sick of Estimated Prophet...there's sort of a sameness about it. I love the song but it's one that bores me if I hear it too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another Brent song I actually liked. Cant't remember the name of it though. I think it's from 10/12/84. Nice groove to it.

_________________
FUM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzfgt wrote:
I get mighty sick of Estimated Prophet...there's sort of a sameness about it. I love the song but it's one that bores me if I hear it too much.


For me it's one of those songs that has a prime era, and anything outside that bubble kind of bores me....'79-'83 is the key to the groove Cool

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fillmoreeast wrote:
I found another Brent song I actually liked. Cant't remember the name of it though. I think it's from 10/12/84. Nice groove to it.


Don't Need Love - played from Spring 84 to Spring 86. Not one I really cared for, but the versions that feature the entire band are better than the ones where Jerry ditched out to medicate.

tizi - Well crafted comment on Ripple. Elegant indeed. This song got me through High School.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding JGB '76-'78


A lot of songs had that Morning Dew type jam to it, starts off slow, builds, builds, builds, builds and EXPLODES!

That's my shit!

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopher wrote:
Regarding JGB '76-'78


A lot of songs had that Morning Dew type jam to it, starts off slow, builds, builds, builds, builds and EXPLODES!

That's my shit!

By time it hits that point, I'm asleep or have hit FF Laughing

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colonialsrv



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 286
Location: Rhode Island

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that I can't dig acoustic dead because I can, but I have to be in the right frame of mind for it. I mean I have to go into it knowing that it is going to be what it is. There won't be any surprises and it will be straight forward.
There arensome songs thatni actually prefer to hear acoustically such as cassisdy. That song sounds so nice and it is so nice and mellow that it sounds great acoustically.
BUT.....with that being said very rarely do I listen to an acoustic show because frankly it bores the [CENSORED] out of me. It's like there really isn't any energy to it, and the songs are just played. There is no room acoustically for them to go off into a spacey type jam or anything.
I figured my last post above would have brought more talking from you guys when I admitted that as I got older I actually like and appeciate Donna. I figured you guys would be all over me about that. I have since gone back and read the posts after it, and realized that you guys were in a whole other discussion and probably didnt even see that I put it, but it's true. When I was a younger head her voice and her wails used to drive NUTS!!!! Now when I listen to them I realize that it actually kind of works and it helped to insight the crowd and to some extent it helped to insight to listener as well. She may have been off key a lot, but when you listen to a long ass version of playin in the band or something and coming out of the jam she just starts wailing, it almost brings you back to reality.
Just my opinion, and I'm sure some of you will agree and others will disagree. I would love to hear from you guys either way.
Stay Calm and Chive On!!!!
Mike

_________________
NOBODY NOTICES WHAT I DO UNTIL I STOP DOING IT!!!!! fucking bullshit if you ask me, because I always have to explain what I'm doing. Miss the old days of touring and not having a care in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Donna all you want... no accounting for taste.

Regarding Cassidy... yes, it is pretty good acoustic... but electric, mid-80s... I far prefer this arrangement/presentation. It really flies out there...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Donna all you want... no accounting for taste.

Regarding Cassidy... yes, it is pretty good acoustic... but electric, mid-80s... I far prefer this arrangement/presentation. It really flies out there...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colonialsrv



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 286
Location: Rhode Island

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No judging here Koch.....I'm not saying that I LOVE DONNA, I'm just saying that there are some really nice playing in the bands, estimated prophets ect. That ahe doesn't sound bad on. I still can't stand when ahe just screams and wails like Yoko Ono though

_________________
NOBODY NOTICES WHAT I DO UNTIL I STOP DOING IT!!!!! fucking bullshit if you ask me, because I always have to explain what I'm doing. Miss the old days of touring and not having a care in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hugo Fugazi



Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 106
Location: Upon the Blue Ridge Mtns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a rocking chair that rolled back on a cat every now and then Laughing

_________________
It's An Obsession But It's Pleasin'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, even Donna had moments that were good... mainly in the post-hiatus period...

However, I view her contribution to the GD as a net negative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, Donna, Donna ... our "croce e delizia" do we love her or hate her?

Regarding the acoustic sets I am now in the phase that I really enjoy them but what I noticed is that I will rather choose a nice Garcia - Grisman show. To me the acoustic shows are not about energy and surprise, but rather a "state of mind" (or a peace of mind) I get through their reading of bluegrass standards and GD songs. On the other hand those shows helped me to stck my nose into the bluegrass world.

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
Donna, Donna, Donna ... our "croce e delizia" do we love her or hate her?

Regarding the acoustic sets I am now in the phase that I really enjoy them but what I noticed is that I will rather choose a nice Garcia - Grisman show. To me the acoustic shows are not about energy and surprise, but rather a "state of mind" (or a peace of mind) I get through their reading of bluegrass standards and GD songs. On the other hand those shows helped me to stck my nose into the bluegrass world.

That brings up a good point... state of mind... when I want to say, totally relax, and just be mellow, I could definitely listen to 5-5-82 (Jerry by himself, acoustic), and have, a hundred times... that state of mind is perfectly suited for some moments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> Conversations of the Dead - All About the Greatest Rock n' Roll Band Ever All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
c d
e



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.it free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa
Confirmed

Page generation time: 1.066