The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index The Lost Sailor's Pub

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The worst show you ever heard?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> The Yo Vinny Era (Fall 1990 - Summer 1995)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: The worst show you ever heard? Reply with quote

I figured I should put it in this era... just because the bad ones from 94-95 were pretty darned awful.

I want to go with 6/2/95 - 6/4/95, the last SF area shows... the whole run was pretty bad, but I can't remember for sure which of the shows I disliked the most. I don't really want to listen again to figure it out again either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two I saw at RFK - 7/20?/94 (the one with Victim) and 6/25/95 - ugh.....
Two terrible shows I saw - 1/28/87 and 1/29/87. Wretched. I didnt know it at the time cause I had a good time but listening in retrospect - pretty bad.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: worst Reply with quote

02-24-71 Port Chester, N.Y.

Yep - no typo. Worst show I've ever heard.

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: worst Reply with quote

swamiGD80s wrote:
02-24-71 Port Chester, N.Y.

Yep - no typo. Worst show I've ever heard.


Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The honor goes to 3/13/82. Biggest POS show I ever wenr to or ever heard. The venue did not help either. Some dump in Reno. I think it was called the Centennial arena

_________________
FUM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fillmoreeast wrote:
The honor goes to 3/13/82. Biggest POS show I ever wenr to or ever heard. The venue did not help either. Some dump in Reno. I think it was called the Centennial arena

Really? I've listened to snippets. I dont recall it being "hot" but dont recall it being horrible.
One lame show in 82 is 4/11/82 Nassau. They tried to raise the sail that night, but it kept falling back down on them.

these 2 from 85 are supposed to be wretched - never listened them though

08-24-85 Boreal Ridge Ski Resort, Donner's Summit, Ca. (Sat)
1: Alabama> Greatest, West L. A., Minglewood 1.5: FOTD, Bucket> Don't Ease
2: Stranger> China Cat> I Know You Rider, He's Gone> Drumz> Truckin> Black Peter> Around> Lovelight E: Day Tripper
09-06-85 Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, Co. (Fri)
1: Bucket> Sugaree, All Over Now, Bird Song, El Paso, Don't Ease
2: Iko Iko, L. L. Rain, He's Gone> Spoonful*> Drumz> Wheel> Black Peter> Throwing Stones> NFA E: U. S. Blues
*without Jerry

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:

One lame show in 82 is 4/11/82 Nassau. They tried to raise the sail that night, but it kept falling back down on them.


Are you saying that Bobby never lashed the mast that night?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cantwinfortrying



Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 92
Location: Blue Light - cheap hotel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fillmoreeast wrote:
The honor goes to 3/13/82. Biggest POS show I ever wenr to or ever heard. The venue did not help either. Some dump in Reno. I think it was called the Centennial arena


I was at that show. My recollection is pretty hazy 'cause I was in a seriously altered state of mind. Two things I remember are:
- Everything seemed to be going way too fast.
- About half way through the first set, the guy in front of me turns to the guy next to him and shouts "It's Bobby's band now." I remember thinking "What the f**k does that mean?"

BTW, the next show I saw after that was 7/31/82. Absolutely nothing wrong with THAT show!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three worst shows that I attended were:

6/9/92 - Victim> Ship, Long Way to open the 2nd -- Blech! Uninspired show after a great one the night before.
4/1/95 - Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy
7/9/95 - Ummm, let's just say that Jerry was dying onstage.
Back to top
delfman



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
Three worst shows that I attended were:

6/9/92 - Victim> Ship, Long Way to open the 2nd -- Blech! Uninspired show after a great one the night before.
4/1/95 - Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy
7/9/95 - Ummm, let's just say that Jerry was dying onstage.

was in attendance at both 6/9/92 and 7/9/95 and can easily say that neither should be spoken of in the same company with worst show ever.
now 03/17/92 quite possibly. I was at that train wreck which only highlight was Phil bombs during Mags.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delfman wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
Three worst shows that I attended were:

6/9/92 - Victim> Ship, Long Way to open the 2nd -- Blech! Uninspired show after a great one the night before.
4/1/95 - Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy
7/9/95 - Ummm, let's just say that Jerry was dying onstage.

was in attendance at both 6/9/92 and 7/9/95 and can easily say that neither should be spoken of in the same company with worst show ever.
now 03/17/92 quite possibly. I was at that train wreck which only highlight was Phil bombs during Mags.


Yer probably right. Still, they were probably the worst shows I saw.
Back to top
delfman



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
delfman wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
Three worst shows that I attended were:

6/9/92 - Victim> Ship, Long Way to open the 2nd -- Blech! Uninspired show after a great one the night before.
4/1/95 - Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy
7/9/95 - Ummm, let's just say that Jerry was dying onstage.

was in attendance at both 6/9/92 and 7/9/95 and can easily say that neither should be spoken of in the same company with worst show ever.
now 03/17/92 quite possibly. I was at that train wreck which only highlight was Phil bombs during Mags.


Yer probably right. Still, they were probably the worst shows I saw.

give them both a listen again.
at least 6/9, for it was one of the few shows I attended with absolutely no drugs in my system what-so ever. I felt it was a pretty high energy show. Granted I fully agree on the week song selection to open set 2.
At least re-listen to the Eyes from this show. And the So Many Roads from 7/9/95
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delfman wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
delfman wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
Three worst shows that I attended were:

6/9/92 - Victim> Ship, Long Way to open the 2nd -- Blech! Uninspired show after a great one the night before.
4/1/95 - Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy
7/9/95 - Ummm, let's just say that Jerry was dying onstage.

was in attendance at both 6/9/92 and 7/9/95 and can easily say that neither should be spoken of in the same company with worst show ever.
now 03/17/92 quite possibly. I was at that train wreck which only highlight was Phil bombs during Mags.


Yer probably right. Still, they were probably the worst shows I saw.

give them both a listen again.
at least 6/9, for it was one of the few shows I attended with absolutely no drugs in my system what-so ever. I felt it was a pretty high energy show. Granted I fully agree on the week song selection to open set 2.
At least re-listen to the Eyes from this show. And the So Many Roads from 7/9/95


You're probably right about 6/9/92. I should check out the Eyes again. I think I remember liking it. And Deal. So yeah, I'm sure there are worse shows out there.

I want to like 7/9/95, but it's too much work for me. I gotta say, I never really like SMR. Jerry, at his worst, sounded like Bob Seager -- and SMR might be the Bob Segaerest song of all. I agree that's a poignant version of the song though. And the double-encore was nice. But that's an ugly, sloppy show. No two ways about it.

I did like 'Liberty' as a late-period Jerry song. It was fun and twangy at least.
Back to top
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, a fellow Liberty fan! Alright! I thought I was all alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
delfman



Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had great fun at 7/9/95
I was so high on kind mushys that I didn't even notice that the show was so sloppy.
might have missed a grand opportunity with this totally hot hippie chick as well. but we were both whacked out of our gourds to make it happen.(by the way she was acting I think she was on sid and x) we did hug for what seemed like an eternity though.
Ahhhh....to go back to that exact moment would be a dream.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
finster



Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Posts: 67
Location: Delaware

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Hey, a fellow Liberty fan! Alright! I thought I was all alone.


I'll third that opinion.....can we get a fourth?? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sundargu



Joined: 20 Feb 2009
Posts: 124
Location: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst show that I attended: 5/28/95.

Half way through the first set, I remember thinking to myself "Why did I toke up for this piece of crap??".

To make matters worse, there was a constant breeze through out the show, messing up the acoustics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Indicablue
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My candidate is 6-22-88 Alpine.
Entire Alpine 88 run was weakish, with some high points.
This show was right in that catgory until they returned from d/s into a broken Whell followed by Stella Blown, launching this show into the realm of suckdom.
Out of the 70 or so shows I attended betwen 82 and 7-9-95, this was the biggest stinker, the only one that I would say bad versus below par.
Back to top
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indicablue wrote:
My candidate is 6-22-88 Alpine.
Entire Alpine 88 run was weakish, with some high points.
This show was right in that catgory until they returned from d/s into a broken Whell followed by Stella Blown, launching this show into the realm of suckdom.
Out of the 70 or so shows I attended betwen 82 and 7-9-95, this was the biggest stinker, the only one that I would say bad versus below par.

Just from the look of these shows and any kind of lack of "buzz" I have avoided them. The last show of the run is OK from the snippets I heard, but thanks for the warning.
The Tacoma Dome show in 88 is pretty sucky. I've been pretty down on this year lately. Some great highpoints, but alot of garbage in 88 IMO. There, I said it, flame away.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indicablue wrote:
My candidate is 6-22-88 Alpine.
Entire Alpine 88 run was weakish, with some high points.
This show was right in that catgory until they returned from d/s into a broken Whell followed by Stella Blown, launching this show into the realm of suckdom.
Out of the 70 or so shows I attended betwen 82 and 7-9-95, this was the biggest stinker, the only one that I would say bad versus below par.

Worse than 7/9/95 is pretty bad!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cowboysth24



Joined: 22 Apr 2009
Posts: 431
Location: Grosvenor Square

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Kochman wrote:
Hey, a fellow Liberty fan! Alright! I thought I was all alone.


I'll third that opinion.....can we get a fourth?? Laughing


I have to say, that although a very fun atmosphere, both Highgate shows were well, not good.
That little town didn't know what hit 'em, and I enjoyed the Liberty encore. "Gonna find my own way home".

_________________
Nothings for certain, it can always go wrong.
Come on in when it's raining, go on out when it's gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dylan&theded



Joined: 31 Mar 2009
Posts: 640

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-24-85 may not be the worst i've ever heard but it is memorably horrible
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DooDahDan



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 77
Location: Great Wall of China (On the Good Side)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6/18/95 - the Wharf Rat meltdown show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finster wrote:
Kochman wrote:
Hey, a fellow Liberty fan! Alright! I thought I was all alone.


I'll third that opinion.....can we get a fourth?? Laughing


I like Liberty. I don't know why it gets [CENSORED] on so much. It's an upbeat Jerry song with silly lyrics and some attitude. In an era when most of Jerry's new songs were ballads, Liberty was a fun little rocker.
Back to top
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
delfman wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
delfman wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
Three worst shows that I attended were:

6/9/92 - Victim> Ship, Long Way to open the 2nd -- Blech! Uninspired show after a great one the night before.
4/1/95 - Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy
7/9/95 - Ummm, let's just say that Jerry was dying onstage.

was in attendance at both 6/9/92 and 7/9/95 and can easily say that neither should be spoken of in the same company with worst show ever.
now 03/17/92 quite possibly. I was at that train wreck which only highlight was Phil bombs during Mags.


Yer probably right. Still, they were probably the worst shows I saw.

give them both a listen again.



at least 6/9, for it was one of the few shows I attended with absolutely no drugs in my system what-so ever. I felt it was a pretty high energy show. Granted I fully agree on the week song selection to open set 2.
At least re-listen to the Eyes from this show. And the So Many Roads from 7/9/95


You're probably right about 6/9/92. I should check out the Eyes again. I think I remember liking it. And Deal. So yeah, I'm sure there are worse shows out there.

I want to like 7/9/95, but it's too much work for me. I gotta say, I never really like SMR. Jerry, at his worst, sounded like Bob Seager -- and SMR might be the Bob Segaerest song of all. I agree that's a poignant version of the song though. And the double-encore was nice. But that's an ugly, sloppy show. No two ways about it.

I did like 'Liberty' as a late-period Jerry song. It was fun and twangy at least.


Re; the 6/9/92 show - on paper, that 1st set looks like a winner, but oy vey, that 2nd set, other than the Eyes, looks like a stinker. I like Black Pete, but Lovelights generally sucked during this era and I am not a big fan of Watchtower.

BTW, I like Liberty too. Nice encore on 10/1/94

In general, I really do not know how anyone can listen to much of 95. Jerry sounded like a dying beached whale. The RFK show I saw (6/25) looks good on paper but it was wretched, because he was up there spacing out, with his guitar turned down.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dylan&theded



Joined: 31 Mar 2009
Posts: 640

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooDahDan wrote:
6/18/95 - the Wharf Rat meltdown show.


my one and only meeting with jerry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: worst Reply with quote

swamiGD80s wrote:
02-24-71 Port Chester, N.Y.

Yep - no typo. Worst show I've ever heard.
Yeas that show gets alot of hype...why I don't know, and I'm a 71 fan for the most part. It probably isn't the worst show I've hear, but it ain't close to being even fair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skobud
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooDahDan wrote:
6/18/95 - the Wharf Rat meltdown show.




I just heard this for the first time after reading your post.....It's really, really bad...Really jacked and completely lost Shocked
Back to top
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
Re; the 6/9/92 show - on paper, that 1st set looks like a winner, but oy vey, that 2nd set, other than the Eyes, looks like a stinker. I like Black Pete, but Lovelights generally sucked during this era and I am not a big fan of Watchtower.


I'm gonna listen to select tracks of this show today.

Here's my review from 2008.

Quote:
Reviewer: snow_and_rain - [3.0 out of 5 stars] - November 17, 2008
Subject: Not a great show by any stretch
but it's nice enough. it does definitely pale in comparison to most of the richfield shows in the 90s. they seem to be having sound problems during the first set. wang dang, me and my uncle -> big river all sound nice. Deal is the highlight for sure.

The second starts out a little snoozy with victim (ugh.. again?!) -> ship -> way to go home. they kind of lost me there. this isn't even a good victim as victims go. i do like this version of ship of fools -- jerry's solo is nice -- so this is a worthy download if you're a fan of that tune -- but it just does not work in the second set two-hole b/w those two other lame songs. jerry tries to pick up the pieces with Eyes and fairs admirably. the jamming starts to improve by the time they leave the stage for Drums. Black Peter is nice, as it almost always was. not the best crescendo solo i've heard in that tune, but it's pretty lively and not bad at all. The Brokedown encore is pretty sweet though.

the upshot of the 93-95 period is that vince was sounding better and better, even as jerry was in decline and bob was losing interest.

In short, listen to the first set; listen to Ship, if that's your thing; maybe the watchtower and black peter; and the Brokedown encore.
Back to top
MrFinchley



Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 29
Location: Planet Telex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
finster wrote:
Kochman wrote:
Hey, a fellow Liberty fan! Alright! I thought I was all alone.


I'll third that opinion.....can we get a fourth?? Laughing


I like Liberty. I don't know why it gets [CENSORED] on so much. It's an upbeat Jerry song with silly lyrics and some attitude. In an era when most of Jerry's new songs were ballads, Liberty was a fun little rocker.



RECENTLY OVERHEARD AT A FURTHUR SHOW:

(Stage Note: The band is coming out of Hurricane.)

Mr. Finchley: Dude, that was sweet. I loves me some Hurricane.
Brother Tom: (Nods in agreement) I knoooow, and unexpected.
Mr. Finchley: Yesssssssss, I dig on the unexpected sweetness. Now, pass that, you Bogarting swine. I'm trippin' ballz over here.
Brother Tom: Settle down there Finchster, all good things in all good time. (Hits it again with a smarmy, knowing look on his face.)

(Liberty begins to unfold)

Mr. Finchley: (With a screw face, turns to Brother Tom) What ... the [CENSORED] ... is this?
Brother Tom: (Befuddled) I dunno, but it's better than Picasso Moon OOOOO-EEEEEEE! (Begins white-man dance - nodding head, biting lower lip, hands fisted, thumbs out, waving in a vigorous circular motion.)
Mr. Finchley: Yeah, right. Need a beer?
Brother Tom: ...and a shot, think I'll join ya. Let's troll fer hippie chicks.
Mr. Finchley: Kuwel, maybe they can tell us what freakin' song this is. Dude, we're like, old and stuff.
Brother Tom: We'll always have Saratoga.

(Post-script) You buy the ticket, you take the ride. I get it. If you toured in the 80's and 90's you had to put up with some cheese. Liberty was not my fav, but it's no I Will Take You Home. When did they start playing that? That's a Jer tune?

_________________
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way ~ Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chingsinkly



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 584
Location: mass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ haha great stuff there had me laughing man Laughing I've always thought liberty was a fun song
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty is a great song for an encore slot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spencer540



Joined: 07 Feb 2009
Posts: 226

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1986-04-21, the Brent meltdown, though not the worst ever, is a pretty big turd

_________________
"JOKING?! Keep in mind, my friend, that this is serious business to most of us losers around here; we are, after all, wasting our precious lives debating these absurd issues. Have a little respect." - dylan&theded
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree completely, I like the Brent meltdown show. It's certainly not the best of the year, or even that run, but it's nowhere near worst ever...
The horror... the horror...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> The Yo Vinny Era (Fall 1990 - Summer 1995) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
c d
e



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.it free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa
Confirmed

Page generation time: 0.606