The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index The Lost Sailor's Pub

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man o man there are some killer shows in 1979

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> The Keith & Donna Era (Fall 1971 - Winter 1979)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
colonialsrv



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 286
Location: Rhode Island

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Man o man there are some killer shows in 1979 Reply with quote

So here's the deal. I have a few shows from 79, but not to many. I am looking for some help here. Can anyone suggest some showsnfrom 79 that they deem to be awesome shows. I'm listening to 7/1/79 right now and I'm blown away. So far the setlistbis great (only up to Peggy o) and I don't want to look at it because I want it to be a surprise as I listen to it. I never realized that 79 had such awesome playing in it. I shouldn't say that because the 79 shows that I do have are incredible. Any help anyone has would be great, so I don't waste my time DLing shows that aren't that great. Thanks guys in advance for any help you can offer.
Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lucasmcain



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you posted this in the Keith and Donna era I'm guessing you are looking for shows with them in the band? Or is the whole year in play?

1/10 79 Nassau

1/15/79 Springfield

1/20/79 Buffalo ( a weird late second set Dark Star! )

2/10/ 79 KansasCity

2/17/79 Oakland Keith and Donna's last show
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shows - I would like to add:
1/8/79
1/11/79 Sugaree, Jack Straw, whole 2nd set ridiculous.
2/3 Indianapolis - only the 2nd set is listenable. But hot.

Brent -
4/22/79 his first show is pretty damn good.
5/7, 5/8, 5/9 and 5/13 ARE ALL KILLER SHOWS. The AUD sources are the only available and there is some crowd noise, but it is well worth putting up with.
8/12 Red Rocks
As far as the Fall/Winter you really can't go wrong with taking a random shot. There are a few clunkers in there but overall a very strong period. These are some favorites:
9/1 Rochester - SCARLET>FIRE
9/2 Augusta - the return of Let It Grow - 23 minutes worth.
9/4-6 MSG - solid.
Throw a dart at any show from 10/27 to 11/9 and you will be happy. 10/27, 10/31, 11/1 and 11/5 are generally given big props.
11/25 UCLA
11/30, 12/1 Stanley
New Years run. 12/28 in particular

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
Brent -
4/22/79 his first show is pretty damn good.
5/7, 5/8, 5/9 and 5/13 ARE ALL KILLER SHOWS. The AUD sources are the only available and there is some crowd noise, but it is well worth putting up with.
8/12 Red Rocks
As far as the Fall/Winter you really can't go wrong with taking a random shot. There are a few clunkers in there but overall a very strong period. These are some favorites:
9/1 Rochester - SCARLET>FIRE
9/2 Augusta - the return of Let It Grow - 23 minutes worth.
9/4-6 MSG - solid.
Throw a dart at any show from 10/27 to 11/9 and you will be happy. 10/27, 10/31, 11/1 and 11/5 are generally given big props.
11/25 UCLA
11/30, 12/1 Stanley
New Years run. 12/28 in particular

I would second all of these, and add...
12/5 and 12/26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
colonialsrv



Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 286
Location: Rhode Island

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,
Thanks the answering this post. You were actually the one who turned me onto 1979 grateful dead. I can't wait to check out your recommendations.
Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Duderino wrote:
Brent -
4/22/79 his first show is pretty damn good.
5/7, 5/8, 5/9 and 5/13 ARE ALL KILLER SHOWS. The AUD sources are the only available and there is some crowd noise, but it is well worth putting up with.
8/12 Red Rocks
As far as the Fall/Winter you really can't go wrong with taking a random shot. There are a few clunkers in there but overall a very strong period. These are some favorites:
9/1 Rochester - SCARLET>FIRE
9/2 Augusta - the return of Let It Grow - 23 minutes worth.
9/4-6 MSG - solid.
Throw a dart at any show from 10/27 to 11/9 and you will be happy. 10/27, 10/31, 11/1 and 11/5 are generally given big props.
11/25 UCLA
11/30, 12/1 Stanley
New Years run. 12/28 in particular

I would second all of these, and add...
12/5 and 12/26


Good call on those 2 as well Koch. 12/5 is pretty insane. Some of those other early December shows are smokin as well 12/7? 12/11?? - I am just not super familiar with them. Basically, the band was on a friggin roll in late 79 - lots of jamming, new songs...Brent giving his synth a funky workout. The Shakedowns, Dancin's, Playin's and Franklins are particularly crazy.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for my thoughts, I didn't really find a show I didn't like after 9/1/79 thru the end of the year.
Sometimes there are bad sources, unfortunately...
11/24/79 has a pretty crappy source, for example, with massive bass saturation (on the source I heard at least, perhaps I should look for other sources)...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grateful_nirvanA



Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also throw 12/3 in there. The Black Peter and Baby Blue encore are real treats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grateful_nirvanA wrote:
I'd also throw 12/3 in there. The Black Peter and Baby Blue encore are real treats.

I think you getting confused. We are talking about 79, not 81.
Baby Blue was not played in 79 - but that 12/3/81 show is awesome!

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grateful_nirvanA



Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
Grateful_nirvanA wrote:
I'd also throw 12/3 in there. The Black Peter and Baby Blue encore are real treats.

I think you getting confused. We are talking about 79, not 81.
Baby Blue was not played in 79 - but that 12/3/81 show is awesome!


You are 100% right! Damn my old age! That's what I get for turning forty last week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:

5/7, 5/8, 5/9 and 5/13 ARE ALL KILLER SHOWS. The AUD sources are the only available and there is some crowd noise, but it is well worth putting up with.


I gotta second these!
The AUDs are pretty good recordings... there is a lot of clapping during 5/7/79 and 5/9/79 but I don't find it very distracting, I love it, you can feel the energy and it's obvious the band is responding.....i'd kill to go to a show where the crowd is THAT into the music!!

1/8/79, 1/1179, 1/15/79, 2/3/79, and 2/10/79 are some great shows with Kieth and Donna in '79

1/14/79 and 1/21/79 are killer shows, but don't know if I would recommended them due to poor audience recordings.

Agree with all the Brent era material posted....It's just a monster year......if are not too familiar with '79 and have been curious to do some exploring I strongly recommend lining up at least five shows, and fire away, ASAP! Exclamation

Can't really go wrong with anything from that era, there has to be at least a 10:1 ratio between clunkers and smoking shows between 4/22/79 and 12/31/79,!

There are some clean and LOUD soundboards for some really hot shows in November...10/31/79, 11/1/79, 11/9/79, and 11/25/79.

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rgerbel



Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79 is probably my favorite year of the Brent era for a variety of reasons, some of which are hard to pinpoint from a logical perspective. They just seemed energized and inventive and Brent brought a lot of energy to the band.

As the Dude said, they did some great Franklins, with my two favorites being 10/27 (My favorite of all time, not just for the year.) followed closely by 10/28 (Yes, they did it on two consecutive nights.!)

I am very surprised that Rob did not mention 11/5 as I think it is a favorite of his and definitely is of mine. Probably the best Eyes>Estimated around (Yes, not the usual sequence, followed by Franklins and I think what many in this forum call a tubular jam or something like this.)

I also love 11/9, with a highlight being a smooth transition from Dancin to Franklins.

12/1 has a very interesting second set with a sequence of Hes Gone>Gloria Jam>CC Rider>Jam>Drums>NFA> and a really top notch Black Peter.

These are only a few of the great concerts in the later part of 79.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell did I forget to mention 11/5!?!?!

The first set isn't so great, it's fine enough though.
However, the pre-drums second set is probably the best pre-drums second set of the "modern era" in my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listened for the first time to the 11-01-79 show .....
... I'm impressed the Scarlet>Mountain Cool PITB is vulcanic ....
.... I have to listen more to this show

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> The Keith & Donna Era (Fall 1971 - Winter 1979) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
c d
e



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.it free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa
Confirmed

Page generation time: 0.592