The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index The Lost Sailor's Pub

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Least Favorite Bands???

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> Other Bands and Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
UWWRFOB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Least Favorite Bands??? Reply with quote

Let's talk up the ones we don't like for once. Discounting people like Lady Ga-Ga, who hasn't been around long, who are your least favorite bands/artists that you instantly want to turn off the minute they get on the radio, etc?

I'll start:

1. The Grateful Dead
2. Phish
3. Bob Dylan
4. Frank Zappa
There's plenty more, but more genre specific.
Back to top
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Samantha Fox (I like just 1 thing ... who has seen her knows what I mean)
2. Europe (... remember ... "its the Final countdown" ....)
...... the list is too long

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheesebeer



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1561
Location: maggies farm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, Nickelback? Staind? The whole nu metal genre sucks, ie Korn, Puddle of Mudd, Linkin Park, Incubus, Avenged Sevenfold, etc, and I take it personally because metal was doing pretty well until it fell into that horrible pit.
Insane Clown Posse and Whitesnake make my list too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Johnson and the entire acoustic "soft" guitar genre. Terrible.

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we can all go on for days about music we don't like - so i'm just going to name bands that I can tolerate but think are extremely over rated.

-Pink Floyd
-Allman's
-Sublime
-Dave Matthew's Band

Pretty much all 'stoner' music....people always assume i'll like the above list just because i'm heavily into GD Rolling Eyes

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamiGD80s wrote:
Jack Johnson and the entire acoustic "soft" guitar genre. Terrible.

Yep. I hate that garbage. I would add Dave Matthews and other "acoustic hippie funk" to that too. Ughhhh....

things I can't stand:
U2
Death Cab For Cutie
Most rap / hip hop.
What passes for "punk pop" these days - the boy bands with guitars and product in their hair.
Classic rock like Foreigner, Bad Company, the Eagles (except for a few songs), what I consider bad Pink Floyd (The Wall) etc...basically what is played on your corporate Clear Channel station....
Women singer songwriters and wussy male songwriters with wimpy, stupid literal lyrics - "Greys Anatomy" music....
I hate a lot of stuff...........


BTW, UWWRFOB, uh, do you hear Frank Zappa often on the radio? Confused
Is Valley Girl or Yellow Snow in heavy rotation on your local classic rock station?

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to play along here Gopher and Duderino style -- Bands that are popular and/or that people assume I like, but I don't, with some explanation:

U2 - This one pisses a lot of my friends off. I was a big believer in U2 up through "The Unforgettable Fire," which I think is a great album -- maybe their best. When "The Joshua Tree" came out and everyone went ape-shit, I just didn't get it. An album full of comfortable re-treads -- the first where they just seemed like they'd had it with creativity altogether. After that, every album has been a lame attempt to stay ahead of the prevailing genre. Pitiful.

REM - I liked them in high school. Mostly because my girlfriend liked them. Stipe is a whiner and an asshole. Need I say more?

Dave Matthews Band - What exactly is there to like here? Am I supposed to be getting off on the repetitive "funky" guitar and bass licks? Or is it his his super-sexy half-growling vocals? Either way, the fans alone are enough to drive me away from this act. Central Virginia frat boy dickheads and their girlfriends doing that dance where he stands behind her and they both sway. No thanks.

Pearl Jam - There, I said it. I can appreciate them for what they are, but I've never taken to Eddie Vedder's voice at all. That's a pretty big hurdle to get over with that band.

The Boss - Sorry, lucasmcain. Not my cup of tea. I think he's authentic and seems like a good guy and all. I root for him. I'm just not into his music that much.
Back to top
Betwixt



Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 93
Location: Tumble-down shack in Big Foot County

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bono and Stings egos make it impossible for me to listen to their music.

_________________
When you go down to Deep Elem, have a little fun
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty much with you S&R, except REM - a classic example of "Jumping the Shark" - I love their stuff up to and including Document (1988??) the next album
that propelled them into superstardom with Orange Crush and Stand, was OK, but after that I wrote them off. Michael Stipes whining and ego got too big.
Springsteen - I like his old stuff OK, but never quite "got" the Boss.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lucasmcain



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man Snow and Rain yer killin me..No Vedder and no Boss.....I'm dyin'.

I will add the entire genre of vanilla, shclocky, terrible lyrics, worse performance and utter sewage that passes ( or fails if you will) that is Country Music!

There are no redeeming qualities of it. No artisits worth a [CENSORED] and and a carousel of one hit wonders that is force fed down Americans throats like fat, geese used for Foi Gras.

Just terrible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I also like Gopher's ideas... music that just doesn't do it for me that others seem to like.

Any Go-Go, most Country & Western, anything from American Idol

Buckethead - sorry Swami
Green Day
Led Zeppelin - most of their stuff actually annoys me nowadays
REM - very obnoxious music
Springsteen - loser
Sublime
Zappa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koch - I'm with you on Buckethead and Green Day too. Pop and punk are two words that should never be in the same sentence. And I've given Buckethead a shot (as recently as yesterday) but I really can't get into it. I recognized his considerable talent on the guitar, but his songs are pretty awful.

Now Zeppelin on the other hand.. Well, let's just agree to strongly disagree.
Back to top
cheesebeer



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1561
Location: maggies farm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godsmack, another one I don't like at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucasmcain wrote:
Oh man Snow and Rain yer killin me..No Vedder and no Boss.....I'm dyin'.

I will add the entire genre of vanilla, shclocky, terrible lyrics, worse performance and utter sewage that passes ( or fails if you will) that is Country Music!

There are no redeeming qualities of it. No artisits worth a [CENSORED] and and a carousel of one hit wonders that is force fed down Americans throats like fat, geese used for Foi Gras.

Just terrible.


Sorry dude. But let's talk contemporary country music for a minute. I really can't understand what happened to country music. It used to be soooooo good. By "used to be" I'm talking about many decades ago. Classic country music is fantastic -- in some ways, one of my favorite musical genres. Problem is, if you go out to the country, you never hear it. All you get is that awful, horrible drivel that passes for country now. If you play two or three chords and have a twang in your voice, you're a country musician today. Pathetic.
Back to top
UWWRFOB
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
[
BTW, UWWRFOB, uh, do you hear Frank Zappa often on the radio? Confused
Is Valley Girl or Yellow Snow in heavy rotation on your local classic rock station?


Zappa is rarely played. My brother listens to him, so I immediately tune him out when he does.
Back to top
lucasmcain



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
lucasmcain wrote:
Oh man Snow and Rain yer killin me..No Vedder and no Boss.....I'm dyin'.

I will add the entire genre of vanilla, shclocky, terrible lyrics, worse performance and utter sewage that passes ( or fails if you will) that is Country Music!

There are no redeeming qualities of it. No artisits worth a [CENSORED] and and a carousel of one hit wonders that is force fed down Americans throats like fat, geese used for Foi Gras.

Just terrible.


Sorry dude. But let's talk contemporary country music for a minute. I really can't understand what happened to country music. It used to be soooooo good. By "used to be" I'm talking about many decades ago. Classic country music is fantastic -- in some ways, one of my favorite musical genres. Problem is, if you go out to the country, you never hear it. All you get is that awful, horrible drivel that passes for country now. If you play two or three chords and have a twang in your voice, you're a country musician today. Pathetic.


I dated a gril back in 2000 that loved Country Music. It was the worst musical year of my life. It climaxed with her dragging me to a one day George Strait festival. Now for straight up Country he migh be the last one out there with an ounce of dignity and integrity left. However some of the acts on that bill were just awful.

One band, I can't remember who it was actually broke out a cover of Low Rider by WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????????????????

No redneck anywhere at anytime would be caught dead in a low rider....it's all about pickups and 4x4's. Just the worst white boy souless drivel my ears and eyes have ever witnessed.

That was until Kenny Chesney hit the stage. For all that is good in the world I think I truly lost hope for America right then and there. His big hit song at the time was a little ditty called " She Thinks My Tractors Sexy " Well the whole set sucked balls until it was time for Tractor and then the dude disappeared off the stage and ....yup you guessed it...came riding out on an actual tractor. No a big one. It was more like one of the Cub Cadet's I used to mow my folks lawn when I was a kid. It was pathetic. Of course the whole stadium went nuts. I excused myself and went looking fo free samples of Skoal. That was the only redeeming point of the day.....I got like 10 free tins of Skoal.

Ahh and earlier in the year the little princess got a hold of a Garth Brookes box set. To my horror he covered Little Feats Dixie Chicken!! Oh she loved that tune but when I told her it was a cover and here listen to the real version....Well she didn't like Little Feat's vesrion. That relationship did not last long. Hotness can only get you so far and cruel and unusual punishment was something I don't budge on. Curbed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, because we all seem to generally dislike modern country... and it is the best selling genre in the country, I believe.

I can't stand the stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
lucasmcain wrote:
Oh man Snow and Rain yer killin me..No Vedder and no Boss.....I'm dyin'.

I will add the entire genre of vanilla, shclocky, terrible lyrics, worse performance and utter sewage that passes ( or fails if you will) that is Country Music!

There are no redeeming qualities of it. No artisits worth a [CENSORED] and and a carousel of one hit wonders that is force fed down Americans throats like fat, geese used for Foi Gras.

Just terrible.


Sorry dude. But let's talk contemporary country music for a minute. I really can't understand what happened to country music. It used to be soooooo good. By "used to be" I'm talking about many decades ago. Classic country music is fantastic -- in some ways, one of my favorite musical genres. Problem is, if you go out to the country, you never hear it. All you get is that awful, horrible drivel that passes for country now. If you play two or three chords and have a twang in your voice, you're a country musician today. Pathetic.


Oh yeah I forgot about that. It should be called "Pop music for rednecks" Double Ugh..

A far cry from Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Merle Haggard and Buck Owens.
I love that old stuff. There are people still doing "good" conutry, but they have no mass appeal.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dogstarz
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bands That I Cannot Stand


1. Eagles
2. Don Henley
3. Joe Walsh
(1,2, and 3 are like the trifecta of doom for me when they are played back to back on the classic radio station.)
4. J Geils Band
5. Ted Nugent (I do like Stranglehold on an occasion though)
6. Aerosmith
7. Guns N Roses
8. New Metallica (Give me anything with Burton or Newstead up to the Black Album)
9. Weezer (Blue album through Pinkerton are ok)
10. Blink 183, Sum 41, Avril Lavinge, (thanks to you kids think punk rock is a clothing style you can buy at Hot Topic)
11. Fallout Boy (thanks for making punk rock....emotional, fuckin whining kids)
12. Culture Club
13. George Michael
14. New Country Music (I agree with everything already said about this subject, and I can see some of the Eagles influence in it)
15. Mother Love Bone (an old 80's band that almost made it, but singer OD'ed and we got Pearl Jam, personally we lucked out on that one)
16. Rob Zombie (give it up, go make another Halloween movie or get White Zombie back together with all the original members)
17. Godsmack, Days Of The New (this includes all those other bands that want to sound like Alice In Chains, you know what, Alice In Chains wants to sound like Alice In Chains, it will never happen again for them since Layne Staley is dead)
18. Creed, Nickleback (thanks for making rock music for pussies and creepers)
19. Kid Rock (not only is played on soft rock stations, and those country stations we all hate, his disease ridden music is just lame, oh and he made one song out of 2 Warren Zevon songs or if you want to be technicial, one Zevon song and one Skynard song)
20. Lynard Skynard....how many original members are there?

My rant is complete, enjoy your afternoon or early evening.
Back to top
nickJ



Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Posts: 448
Location: ithaca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My loose, underdeveloped theory is that mainstream music in general sucks in proportion to its use as a marketing soundtrack to various lifestyle activities that most people engage in. The more that music in general is identified as a way to fill space and quantify human emotions in every situations from buying a latte to watching your wife deliver a baby, the more it gets watered down, bland, "stylized," and reprehensible to people like us, who devote hugely disproportionate amounts of our time thinking about it.

I'm friends with a lot of people who use Jack Johnson or Dave Matthews to serve the same function in their life that Bob Marley also does -- laid-back-but-still-peppy music to play in the car or at a barbecue or to just get through the day. It used to bother me to no end that any sane person would choose to listen to Jack Johnson over Bob Marley, until I realized that Jack Johnson's "function" for many people is to serve as aural coloring or a kind of sonic wallpaper. And, when viewed that way, I have no issue whatsoever with Jack Johnson. Just think of modern county as a kind of cutting edge ambient music and you'll feel much better about it.

But I can still play along. To quote his dudeness:
Quote:
I've had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jessewood34



Joined: 05 Aug 2009
Posts: 356

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate basicly any post grunge band like nickleback creed candlebox shinedown and silverchair. Those bands blow cock. Also limp bizkit is brutal. Brokencyde just shows how shitty mainstream music has gotten.

Old bands i really cant stand are REO, Styx, and phil collins. Phil might have made in the air tonight, but he also made fucking sudio.

And I agree with the insane clown posse. They are the worst rap group bar none. Their fans are just blind sheep that buy into all their hatchetman garbage and juggalo nonsense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lucasmcain



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogstarz wrote:
Bands That I Cannot Stand


1. Eagles
2. Don Henley
3. Joe Walsh
(1,2, and 3 are like the trifecta of doom for me when they are played back to back on the classic radio station.)
4. J Geils Band
5. Ted Nugent (I do like Stranglehold on an occasion though)
6. Aerosmith
7. Guns N Roses
8. New Metallica (Give me anything with Burton or Newstead up to the Black Album)
9. Weezer (Blue album through Pinkerton are ok)
10. Blink 183, Sum 41, Avril Lavinge, (thanks to you kids think punk rock is a clothing style you can buy at Hot Topic)
11. Fallout Boy (thanks for making punk rock....emotional, fuckin whining kids)
12. Culture Club
13. George Michael
14. New Country Music (I agree with everything already said about this subject, and I can see some of the Eagles influence in it)
15. Mother Love Bone (an old 80's band that almost made it, but singer OD'ed and we got Pearl Jam, personally we lucked out on that one)
16. Rob Zombie (give it up, go make another Halloween movie or get White Zombie back together with all the original members)
17. Godsmack, Days Of The New (this includes all those other bands that want to sound like Alice In Chains, you know what, Alice In Chains wants to sound like Alice In Chains, it will never happen again for them since Layne Staley is dead)
18. Creed, Nickleback (thanks for making rock music for pussies and creepers)
19. Kid Rock (not only is played on soft rock stations, and those country stations we all hate, his disease ridden music is just lame, oh and he made one song out of 2 Warren Zevon songs or if you want to be technicial, one Zevon song and one Skynard song)
20. Lynard Skynard....how many original members are there?

My rant is complete, enjoy your afternoon or early evening.


I don't even know where to start here.

Eagles in their early days were on!

Joe Walsh.... James Gang was awesome. He had some great solo albums. I suggest the live " You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind" and try to grab ahold of a live boot from San Diego 1997 and also the album Barnstormer.

J Geils Band..It's a Boston thing

Nugent.....Double Live Gonzo was a late 70's tour de force of guitar bravado. Wango Tango was great too. Don't forget his work with The Damn Yankees....klitchy rock/pop but it worked. I think he is an asshole extrodinare though and his politics suck, but back in the day he was good.

Aerosmith????? Ok later day Aerosmith sucks balls but their first 5 albums or so were gold man.! Aerosmith, Get Yor Wings, Toys in the Attic, Draw The Line all kicked ass.

Mother Love Bone???? Really?? Without them there was no 90's Seattle movement.

Weezer...Can still put out good tunes.

I have big problems with your Alice In Chains comment. Jerry Cantrell wrote a large percentage of all the tunes and sang a bunch of them too when Layne was too smacked out to do any good.

Godsmack is getting the rail here. Look they started out as an Alice In Chains Cover band and moved into writng their own stuff. Beware DSO fans cuz it's the same thing but DSO doesn't write shit!!!

Lynard Skynard?? They were one of the biggerest kick asss band ever!! Period! Yes they are a shadow of their heyday and yes I'm tired of hearing their songs but....when they were fresh and alive they were a force to reckon with!!

Sorry bro I'm dissapointed with your choices! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dogstarz
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucasmcain wrote:
dogstarz wrote:
Bands That I Cannot Stand


1. Eagles
2. Don Henley
3. Joe Walsh
(1,2, and 3 are like the trifecta of doom for me when they are played back to back on the classic radio station.)
4. J Geils Band
5. Ted Nugent (I do like Stranglehold on an occasion though)
6. Aerosmith
7. Guns N Roses
8. New Metallica (Give me anything with Burton or Newstead up to the Black Album)
9. Weezer (Blue album through Pinkerton are ok)
10. Blink 183, Sum 41, Avril Lavinge, (thanks to you kids think punk rock is a clothing style you can buy at Hot Topic)
11. Fallout Boy (thanks for making punk rock....emotional, fuckin whining kids)
12. Culture Club
13. George Michael
14. New Country Music (I agree with everything already said about this subject, and I can see some of the Eagles influence in it)
15. Mother Love Bone (an old 80's band that almost made it, but singer OD'ed and we got Pearl Jam, personally we lucked out on that one)
16. Rob Zombie (give it up, go make another Halloween movie or get White Zombie back together with all the original members)
17. Godsmack, Days Of The New (this includes all those other bands that want to sound like Alice In Chains, you know what, Alice In Chains wants to sound like Alice In Chains, it will never happen again for them since Layne Staley is dead)
18. Creed, Nickleback (thanks for making rock music for pussies and creepers)
19. Kid Rock (not only is played on soft rock stations, and those country stations we all hate, his disease ridden music is just lame, oh and he made one song out of 2 Warren Zevon songs or if you want to be technicial, one Zevon song and one Skynard song)
20. Lynard Skynard....how many original members are there?

My rant is complete, enjoy your afternoon or early evening.


I don't even know where to start here.

Eagles in their early days were on!

Joe Walsh.... James Gang was awesome. He had some great solo albums. I suggest the live " You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind" and try to grab ahold of a live boot from San Diego 1997 and also the album Barnstormer.

J Geils Band..It's a Boston thing

Nugent.....Double Live Gonzo was a late 70's tour de force of guitar bravado. Wango Tango was great too. Don't forget his work with The Damn Yankees....klitchy rock/pop but it worked. I think he is an asshole extrodinare though and his politics suck, but back in the day he was good.

Aerosmith????? Ok later day Aerosmith sucks balls but their first 5 albums or so were gold man.! Aerosmith, Get Yor Wings, Toys in the Attic, Draw The Line all kicked ass.

Mother Love Bone???? Really?? Without them there was no 90's Seattle movement.

Weezer...Can still put out good tunes.

I have big problems with your Alice In Chains comment. Jerry Cantrell wrote a large percentage of all the tunes and sang a bunch of them too when Layne was too smacked out to do any good.

Godsmack is getting the rail here. Look they started out as an Alice In Chains Cover band and moved into writng their own stuff. Beware DSO fans cuz it's the same thing but DSO doesn't write shit!!!

Lynard Skynard?? They were one of the biggerest kick asss band ever!! Period! Yes they are a shadow of their heyday and yes I'm tired of hearing their songs but....when they were fresh and alive they were a force to reckon with!!

Sorry bro I'm dissapointed with your choices! Shocked


I can listen to Aerosmith, the old stuff, but when I think of these guys I think of 9 Lives era Aerosmith or that Armageddon soundtrack thing.

I used to enjoy Skynard, but anything new they have released in the past 10-20 years is pretty awful. I can listen to Freebird at least once a year and enjoy it.

Mother Love Bone was a band that I never got into. Sure it had great members in the band that would later prove that to the world in 1992. Temple Of The Dog was excellent, and it was a tribute to Andy Wood. Still I don't like his vocals, which I have heard him in other bands and I have felt the same. Also I would say without Soundgarden there would be no Seattle movement. Soundgarden was on the "first grunge" record which was a sampler from Sub Pop. I will have to go back and look to see if any of Wood's bands were on that album. Also random note, Cornell and Wood were roommates, which makes Temple Of The Dog that more intimate to listen to, check out Say Hello To Heaven on that album.

Now Godsmack, I will stand behind what I said about them. Sure AIC has Cantrell there still. I just do not enjoy Godsmack's songs that they have wrote. The first album was pretty good for the time. Not sure if I would enjoy it now though.

Weezer is more of a hit or miss lately. The last song I heard from them was something about Beverly Hills. I remember the video was at the Playboy Mansion. I think Rivers Cuomo is running out of hits from his fabled song journals.

I can say a common theme in my rant, bands that start out strong and kind of fizzle. Sometimes the fizzle will effect my listening to older albums that I enjoyed at one point. Perhaps I have changed and went in other musical directions or they have changed from what I liked about them. This is bound to happen, just kinda sucks when I notice it.
Back to top
lucasmcain



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for sure man! I'm just pointing out some of the history that might give them a few passes the later years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
Koch - I'm with you on Buckethead and Green Day too. Pop and punk are two words that should never be in the same sentence. And I've given Buckethead a shot (as recently as yesterday) but I really can't get into it. I recognized his considerable talent on the guitar, but his songs are pretty awful.

Now Zeppelin on the other hand.. Well, let's just agree to strongly disagree.


Agree but ..... I love Green Day because my son likes them and this fact helps me out a lot to prevent my daugter to put her Lady Ga - Ga in my stereo during long car drives for the holydays! So, she has to put her headphones on! I know that this is not fair but ...... Laughing

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickJ wrote:
My loose, underdeveloped theory is that mainstream music in general sucks in proportion to its use as a marketing soundtrack to various lifestyle activities that most people engage in. The more that music in general is identified as a way to fill space and quantify human emotions in every situations from buying a latte to watching your wife deliver a baby, the more it gets watered down, bland, "stylized," and reprehensible to people like us, who devote hugely disproportionate amounts of our time thinking about it.

I'm friends with a lot of people who use Jack Johnson or Dave Matthews to serve the same function in their life that Bob Marley also does -- laid-back-but-still-peppy music to play in the car or at a barbecue or to just get through the day. It used to bother me to no end that any sane person would choose to listen to Jack Johnson over Bob Marley, until I realized that Jack Johnson's "function" for many people is to serve as aural coloring or a kind of sonic wallpaper. And, when viewed that way, I have no issue whatsoever with Jack Johnson. Just think of modern county as a kind of cutting edge ambient music and you'll feel much better about it.

But I can still play along. To quote his dudeness:
Quote:
I've had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.


Well put dude.


Let me add to my previous list...
Kid Rock, Limp Biscuit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to make the Eagles reference, but it was too easy...
I am not a fan in general (especially "the long run") and Don Henley is a douche,
but some early Eagles is nice country rock - Bernie Leadon came straight from the Burrito Bros for gods sake - check him out in Festival Express...and I actually like the song Hotel California - nice leads. Although that song has been ruined by classic rock radio.
Joe Walsh - gotta agree with Lucas. He rules! Great guitar player, James Gang stuff is awesome. Funk 49 is classic.
The Nuge - up to and including Double Live Gonzo, he was a rock god. Now he is a buffoon.
I always though Aerosmith were Stones wannabees, but their output in the 70's was pretty solid.

So....is Fallout Boy an example of what I call "Punk Pop by kids with product in their hair"? little pussies with skinny ties?

I would agree about Mother Love Bone. Back in the early 90's I veered away from the stale GD scene and really got into a lot of Seattle stuff and other "grunge". I bought Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam and a Soundgarden CD. Found all of them dull and returned them. Sounded more like rehashed Zeppelin. To me, grunge was and forever will be one band: MUDHONEY.
Also dug Screaming Trees, Dino Jr., Afghan Whigs, etc.....

Comments about Skynyrd: You cannot even count anything past Street Survivors. Same with Little Feat after Lowell George. It just is wrong.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
Koch - I'm with you on Buckethead and Green Day too. Pop and punk are two words that should never be in the same sentence. And I've given Buckethead a shot (as recently as yesterday) but I really can't get into it. I recognized his considerable talent on the guitar, but his songs are pretty awful.

Now Zeppelin on the other hand.. Well, let's just agree to strongly disagree.


Agree but ..... I love Green Day because my son likes them and this fact helps me out a lot to prevent my daugter to put her Lady Ga - Ga in my stereo during long car drives for the holydays! So, she has to put her headphones on! I know that this is not fair but ...... Laughing


What!!!! Pop and punk should absolutely be in the same sentence.

What is described as pop-punk now is wuss music, but there was a whole genre in the 1970's of "Power Pop" (Flamin Groovies, Big Star, etc..)which turned into punk-pop in the 80's and 90's. What about The Knack?
The Ramones are simply bubblegum pop played crudely and loudly.
Ever hear the Buzzcocks?? The band Green Day completely ripped off??
GREAT Pop-punk: Fastbacks, Flop, The Figgs, The Muffs, Cub...
I would say Elvis Costello, Husker Du and the Replacements veer into punk pop as well...

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ever hear the Buzzcocks?? The band Green Day completely ripped off??

Uh, nope, never heard them Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Quote:
Ever hear the Buzzcocks?? The band Green Day completely ripped off??

Uh, nope, never heard them Laughing

Really???? I'm sure you've heard a few of their ditties
hugely influential band and they rock! Ya gotta love a band with a song called "Orgasm Addict"

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!



"They achieved commercial success with singles that fused pop craftsmanship with rapid-fire punk energy. " - Hence, pop-punk is not a bad thing. Smile

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
What!!!! Pop and punk should absolutely be in the same sentence.

What is described as pop-punk now is wuss music, but there was a whole genre in the 1970's of "Power Pop" (Flamin Groovies, Big Star, etc..)which turned into punk-pop in the 80's and 90's. What about The Knack?
The Ramones are simply bubblegum pop played crudely and loudly.
Ever hear the Buzzcocks?? The band Green Day completely ripped off??
GREAT Pop-punk: Fastbacks, Flop, The Figgs, The Muffs, Cub...
I would say Elvis Costello, Husker Du and the Replacements veer into punk pop as well...


You make an excellent point. I use Pop Punk to describe the really pop stuff, like Green Day. But yeah, i like the Buzzcocks and Gang of Four and all that... I think of that as post-punk I guess. I don't see it as so pop-oriented. The Pixies kind of walk that same line, but they're really just a rock band with an ironic attitude. Husker Du I have a hard time classifying as pop, mainly cuz they weren't ever that popular. But anyway, I see what you mean. I didn't mean to knock all those bands too.
Back to top
lucasmcain



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I'm reading this correctly you just put The Knack in the same playing field as the Ramones!!!!!??????????

I'm losing hope here for this here forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheesebeer



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1561
Location: maggies farm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ramones are a favorite band of mine but they have a lot of shitty filler album tracks. Their best songs incorporated some kind of pop sound stripped to the bare essence. In a perfect world, the Ramones would be a pop band and I would say that in a way they already are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucasmcain wrote:
So if I'm reading this correctly you just put The Knack in the same playing field as the Ramones!!!!!??????????

I'm losing hope here for this here forum.

Different kind of pop punk - more pop than punk. Ramones more punk than pop (well pretty much punk).
The Knack actually had a bunch of really cool songs. Most people know that "good girls dont" tune but they had some good tunes - they rocked it out, skinny tie style.

BTW I like your story about the chick who was into contemporary country -
that would be a "deal breaker" for me as well, no matter how hot she was.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boxorain



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 672
Location: The depths of Hells Canyon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston
Rush
Poison
Chicago
Styx
REO Speedwagon
Men at Work
Billy Squire
April Wine
Foreigner
Journey

_________________
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, added to prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children and the children yet unborn, and the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxorain wrote:
Boston
Rush
Poison
Chicago
Styx
REO Speedwagon
Men at Work
Billy Squire
April Wine
Foreigner
Journey

So, does that mean you like Toto? Laughing

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boxorain



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 672
Location: The depths of Hells Canyon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
boxorain wrote:
Boston
Rush
Poison
Chicago
Styx
REO Speedwagon
Men at Work
Billy Squire
April Wine
Foreigner
Journey

So, does that mean you like Toto? Laughing


Yeah, he's a cute little dog, and I love Dorothy's red shoes too! Laughing

Its those fucking flying monkeys that scare the [CENSORED] outta me!

To be honest, I don't listen to the radio; there are no stations around here except a few new-age country, and I hate that crap. I was trying to think back when I had radio available, what did I hate the most.

_________________
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, added to prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children and the children yet unborn, and the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
boxorain wrote:
Boston
Rush
Poison
Chicago
Styx
REO Speedwagon
Men at Work
Billy Squire
April Wine
Foreigner
Journey

So, does that mean you like Toto? Laughing


Your list rocks my fucking world! LOL

No really, I'm with you on some of it, but I think it says a lot about generational gaps. If I were any older or younger I'd probably agree wholeheartedly, but many of these groups were core to my adolescent listening -- especially Rush, REO, Men at Work, Styx, Journey and motherfucking FOREIGNER!!! You can't tell me Foreigner 4 was not AWESOME! Hell, even Jesse likes Rush!
Back to top
boxorain



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 672
Location: The depths of Hells Canyon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
but many of these groups were core to my adolescent listening -- especially Rush, REO, Men at Work, Styx, Journey and motherfucking FOREIGNER!!! You can't tell me Foreigner 4 was not AWESOME! Hell, even Jesse likes Rush!


I'm only 45! Seriously though, these groups were core tunes for me and my buddies as well. [CENSORED] I saw most of them in concert, some more than once. But looking back I can't believe I loved that stuff as much as I did; its fucking embarrassing!

Back when I was about 14 (1979), I used to steal my sister's boyfriend's car while they were fooling around or whatever, and drive around blasting Pieces of Eight.

Oh how I wish I would have found Jerry and the boys back then... Crying or Very sad

_________________
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, added to prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children and the children yet unborn, and the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey was the [CENSORED] S&R!!! Hell Yeah!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> Other Bands and Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
c d
e



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.it free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa
Confirmed

Page generation time: 3.616