The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index The Lost Sailor's Pub

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's rate Vinny!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> The Yo Vinny Era (Fall 1990 - Summer 1995)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ads






Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Ads

Back to top
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Let's rate Vinny! Reply with quote

Musicianship: A-
Singing: C-
Best sound: Synth
Best Lead Vocals Song: Tomorrow Never Knows
Worst Lead Vocals Song: Samba In The Rain

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Let's rate Vinny! Reply with quote

I'll play, but again, you are psycho Gopher. For everyone reading, I don't literally mean that Gopher is a psycho that should be in an asylum somewhere. It was a form of humor using exaggeration to make a point. I repeat, I don't really think Gopher is a pyscho, since so many people are so sensitive and hanging on my words...

Musicianship: B
Singing: C
Best sound: Piano (easily)
Best Lead Vocals Song: All Too Much
Worst Lead Vocals Song: WTGH
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicianship: B-
Singing: C
Best Sound: Piano
Best Lead Vocals Song: Tomorrow Never Knows (?)
Worst Lead Vocals Song: Samba In The Rain
Best Back-up Vocals: He's Gone
Best Song on Keys: H>S>F (see 6/9/93)
Back to top
skobud
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rate Vinny? Ok Good for me to poop on! Now remember that the majority of shows I saw were with Vinny....So I am qualifed to say this Laughing
Back to top
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Back to top
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B, D, none, all
you are sooooo mean Koch.... Wink

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skobud wrote:
Rate Vinny? Ok Good for me to poop on! Now remember that the majority of shows I saw were with Vinny....So I am qualifed to say this Laughing

And I am qualified to say this.
This kind of post is Good for me to poop on!, especially from someone who likes Pigpens work on the keys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skobud
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
skobud wrote:
Rate Vinny? Ok Good for me to poop on! Now remember that the majority of shows I saw were with Vinny....So I am qualifed to say this Laughing

And I am qualified to say this.
This kind of post is Good for me to poop on!, especially from someone who likes Pigpens work on the keys.



Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!



Mother Santana says BE NICE
Back to top
lucasmcain



Joined: 10 Oct 2008
Posts: 1356

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who likes Way to Go Home? I see that song trashed about, but I didn't mind catching one or listening to one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucasmcain wrote:
Am I the only one who likes Way to Go Home? I see that song trashed about, but I didn't mind catching one or listening to one.


Better than Samba.
Back to top
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 out of 10 deaf people agree


Last edited by Kochman on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
9 out of 10 def people agree


you mean "def" like "really rad" right? Like the opposite of "whack."
Back to top
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
Kochman wrote:
9 out of 10 def people agree


you mean "def" like "really rad" right? Like the opposite of "whack."


S&R Don't be a piano playa' hater.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grateful_nirvanA



Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 525
Location: Fargo, North Dakota

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicianship: C+
Vocals: C
Best sound: Silence
Best lead vocals: Way To Go Home (from '92); he had enough practice on this one to be at least competent
Worst lead vocal: Samba In The Rain (a real shame, this could be a neat song)

I'm not sorry to say that, after Bruce left the band and his flavor had left Vince's playing, Vince stank. Sad but true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boxorain



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 672
Location: The depths of Hells Canyon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grateful_nirvanA wrote:
I'm not sorry to say that, after Bruce left the band and his flavor had left Vince's playing, Vince stank. Sad but true.


Don't be sorry. Sometimes I wonder if they might have been better off to not have a keyboard player after Bruce...

_________________
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, added to prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own, for the children and the children yet unborn, and the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Duderino



Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 3031
Location: Baltimore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think Vince was better when Bruce left, because he could play piano tones as opposed to those god awful synth noises. I actually thought Bruce sat in on 10/1/94 when I listened to it, but was pleasantly surprised it was Vinny. He got better as time went on with the keys, but not up to GD standards.

_________________
We used to play for acid, now we play for Clive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duderino wrote:
Actually I think Vince was better when Bruce left, because he could play piano tones as opposed to those god awful synth noises. I actually thought Bruce sat in on 10/1/94 when I listened to it, but was pleasantly surprised it was Vinny. He got better as time went on with the keys, but not up to GD standards.



You mean, not up to Brent's standard.

Musicianship: A-
Singing: B-
Best sound: Synth (6-24-91 Help)
Best Lead Vocals Song: Samba in the Rain (LOVE IT)
Worst Lead Vocals Song: It's All Too Much

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samba was my #2 choice... sorry to see you bash All Too Much so harshly... really? The worst of Vince?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Samba was my #2 choice... sorry to see you bash All Too Much so harshly... really? The worst of Vince?



It's pretty decent for a worst song - how's that?

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unacceptable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopher



Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 1754
Location: NEPA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned that GD performed a song called It's All To Much...will have to check it out

_________________
He's always lived by the golden rule, that's why he'll never be mayor!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skobud
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopher wrote:
I just learned that GD performed a song called It's All To Much...will have to check it out


Never heard of it either...Actually, I had never heard of Samba until Koch played it on an LP sometime back(which I never forgave him for Laughing )
Back to top
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's All To Much was written by George Harrison and appears on the Yellow Submarine soundtrack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DooDahDan



Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 77
Location: Great Wall of China (On the Good Side)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't wonder through the Vinny years aisle but in any event I would not rate him. He was just the plain wrong choice on so many levels that I don't a critique of his abilities makes much sense. He may have been a great side man in a band like The Tubes where the keys were background color but he was totally not the right choice for a band where the keys were expected to step out front and also slither around Jerry's leads. He had the wrong skill set. T. Lavitz would have been a far superior choice but for the need for a 3rd set of pipes.

They should have canceled the Fall '90 Tour, spent more time grieving Brent's passing, auditioning his replacement, and writing new material.

_________________
When you reach the fork in the road, take it ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was a lot of concern over not cancelling the Europe Tour, because of the expectations, etc...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DooDahDan wrote:
They should have canceled the Fall '90 Tour, spent more time grieving Brent's passing, auditioning his replacement, and writing new material.


I hear a lot of people say that. Might have been a good idea if not for commitments, mouths to feed, etc.

In any case, I very much enjoy the Fall '90 tour. There are lots of strong performances.
Back to top
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it has to do with Vinny but I love the drums/ Space sections of that era ... expecially '93.

The other reasone is that he kept screaming Donna out even after Brents passing

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swamiGD80s
Site Admin


Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 1801
Location: Atlantic Beach, FL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
I don't know if it has to do with Vinny but I love the drums/ Space sections of that era ... expecially '93.

The other reasone is that he kept screaming Donna out even after Brents passing



Yes on the Drumz/Space!!

_________________
Even the blind man knows when the rain is falling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other reasone is that he kept screaming Donna out even after Brents passing[/quote]

Question Question

_________________
FUM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fillmoreeast wrote:
The other reasone is that he kept screaming Donna out even after Brents passing


Question Question[/quote]

Maybe I am overreacting to her "ya-ya-ya" singing over and over again during a couple of recent swhows I was listening lately.

I was forcing myself to overcome Donna's singalongs so i worked hard listening to some '73 shows which were amazing (the sound, solos, variety of songs and so on).

I have come to the conclusion that her singalongs don't bother me that much, but the "ya-ya-ya" things expecially during the beautiful solos and instrumentals just irritate me. The funny thing is that this often happens to the climax of the instrumental improv.

So, whatever happened after is good .... her comeback was prevented this is what I ment.

I hope I have explained my opinion, which is .... just 1 opinion obviously.

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
Maybe I am overreacting to her "ya-ya-ya" singing over and over again during a couple of recent swhows I was listening lately.

No, you are not overreacting at all. Those that ignore who lame her contributions are live in lala land. However, it is worth just gritting your teeth through her screaming because the rest of the music in these shows is so damn good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
tizi wrote:
Maybe I am overreacting to her "ya-ya-ya" singing over and over again during a couple of recent swhows I was listening lately.

No, you are not overreacting at all. Those that ignore who lame her contributions are live in lala land. However, it is worth just gritting your teeth through her screaming because the rest of the music in these shows is so damn good.


THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I AM SO MAD AT THE "YA-YA-YA" THING .... THE MUSIC IS SUPERB, PROBABLY THE THEST EVER .... BUT THEN SHE GOES .... Ok I think I have made my point: perhaps through more listening I will get used to it and will not pay attention.

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fillmoreeast



Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 1645

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up and BTW I agree.

_________________
FUM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
Kochman wrote:
tizi wrote:
Maybe I am overreacting to her "ya-ya-ya" singing over and over again during a couple of recent swhows I was listening lately.

No, you are not overreacting at all. Those that ignore who lame her contributions are live in lala land. However, it is worth just gritting your teeth through her screaming because the rest of the music in these shows is so damn good.


THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I AM SO MAD AT THE "YA-YA-YA" THING .... THE MUSIC IS SUPERB, PROBABLY THE THEST EVER .... BUT THEN SHE GOES .... Ok I think I have made my point: perhaps through more listening I will get used to it and will not pay attention.

No, that will never happen... it is completely unavoidable...
You just have to think... well, out of 20 minutes, there was 10 seconds of retard... Don't think, well, we had 20 minutes of sheer bliss... because it doesn't happen...
EXCEPT in Dec 1973, when she was, fortunately for us, pregnant, and wasn't at the shows. These PITBs in particular are amazing... 20 minutes of sheer bliss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all agree that there are cringe-worthy moments across the board in virtually every era. The GD are not perfect. The GD are working class heroes and are cut pretty rough around the edges, just the way I like it. I'd no sooner excise one of Donna's howls than omit a mindless solo from Vynce or a treacly IWTYH out of Space. All part of the experience.
Back to top
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
I think we can all agree that there are cringe-worthy moments across the board in virtually every era. The GD are not perfect

Yes, however, in Donna's case, they were regularly scheduled, and she added ZERO instrumental play to the jam band's finer moments.

This is what separates her repeated flaws from other member's flaws (that being said, I hate Vinny "cheese-riffs")
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
Yes, however, in Donna's case, they were regularly scheduled, and she added ZERO instrumental play to the jam band's finer moments.

This is what separates her repeated flaws from other member's flaws (that being said, I hate Vinny "cheese-riffs")


Perhaps, but I'm of the mind that Donna sounded nice on some songs, so I take the good with the bad.
Back to top
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listening this amazing 11/11/73 show and ... I haven't heard Donna yet!!!
Why? Was she away because of pregnancy even then? Good ....

Koch or someone else ..... do you have data about her preganancy absences from shows so I can start from there? Very Happy

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snow_and_rain
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna's out starting with the Winterland run and continuing through December. She's back for the Winterland shows in February 74.
Back to top
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
Donna's out starting with the Winterland run and continuing through December. She's back for the Winterland shows in February 74.


Thanks for the info Laughing

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dogstarz
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skobud wrote:
Gopher wrote:
I just learned that GD performed a song called It's All To Much...will have to check it out


Never heard of it either...Actually, I had never heard of Samba until Koch played it on an LP sometime back(which I never forgave him for Laughing )


This song was from the prolific year of 1995. If you dig this one you should check out the only performance of John Lennon's Watching The Wheels. Laughing
Back to top
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tizi wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
Donna's out starting with the Winterland run and continuing through December. She's back for the Winterland shows in February 74.


Thanks for the info Laughing

Here is a thread where we tried listing all dates...

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!



There were some shows without Donna outside of the period mentioned above.
Rejoice in them!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tizi



Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Location: Lost somewhere in the Northen Adriatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kochman wrote:
tizi wrote:
snow_and_rain wrote:
Donna's out starting with the Winterland run and continuing through December. She's back for the Winterland shows in February 74.


Thanks for the info Laughing

Here is a thread where we tried listing all dates...

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!



There were some shows without Donna outside of the period mentioned above.
Rejoice in them!


THIS INFO IS GOLD

_________________
I mean, sports are big, big, big business. (Phil Lesh)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kochman
Captain


Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 10252
Location: Davy Jones' Locker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it meant a lot to me too!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bzfgt



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 477

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicianship: C
Singing: C
Best sound: Did they ever let him do B3? If so that must be it.
Best Lead Vocals Song: White Punks on Dope
Worst Lead Vocals Song: Talk To Ya Later
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Lost Sailor's Pub Forum Index -> The Yo Vinny Era (Fall 1990 - Summer 1995) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
c d
e



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

Abuse - Report Abuse - TOS & Privacy.
Powered by forumup.it free forum, create your free forum! Created by Hyarbor & Qooqoa
Confirmed

Page generation time: 0.702